Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt pattern level of difficulty??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-pattern-level-difficulty-t119891.html)

Weenween 05-01-2011 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by glenda5253
I would like to hear from you quilters that have made "Grandmother's Fan" as to the level of difficulty. I'm asking because that was the pattern that Mom used whenever a grandchild married. She would find out what the couple's favorite color was and make a queen size quilt for them. Since she passed away two years ago there has been one grandson to marry and another will marry in May. I'm thinking about continuing the tradition only with a scrappy GF from my stash. So how would you rate this pattern, please?

I have made one it is not really that hard and I am not an expericend quilt maker either.

pbreon 05-01-2011 07:09 AM

Check out the Meet Me IN Paris Quilt!!!! Just google it and take a look!!! Someday I really want to do this!!! :roll:

humbird 05-01-2011 07:37 AM

Now that I look at the pattern more...I guess she did applique the completed fan onto a square block - DUH. :oops: I'm hoping she left a pattern in one of the many pizza boxes that ended up at my sister's house in KY. When we go in I have to go thru all those boxes to see what's there. Everytime she would start gathering for a new quilt she would start a new pizza box. I would say my sister has 20-25 pizza boxes stored. :shock:

maybe you will be lucky and one of those pizza boxes will hold the beginnings of the GF. wishful thinking maybe

lauriequilts 05-01-2011 07:37 AM

My avatar is a grandmother's fan. It wasn't that difficult. It isn't appliqued.

cherrio 05-01-2011 08:03 AM

Now that I look at the pattern more...I guess she did applique the completed fan onto a square block - DUH. :oops: I'm hoping she left a pattern in one of the many pizza boxes that ended up at my sister's house in KY. When we go in I have to go thru all those boxes to see what's there. Everytime she would start gathering for a new quilt she would start a new pizza box. I would say my sister has 20-25 pizza boxes stored. :shock:

well lucky you to have some pizza boxes to go thru! and it will be a wonderful thing if you are able to continue the tradition. Good luck and enjoy the learning curve!

cherrio 05-01-2011 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by lauriequilts

if that isn't appliqued how is it done? it's beautiful

gmcsewer 05-01-2011 08:25 AM

I have made a fan quilt. My instructions were to cut the fan segments with a smooth outer edge, piece them together. Sew a piece of lace on the rounded edge, 1/4 inch seam. Then pin to the background piece,, which has been cut to fit the rest of the square plus 1/4 inch on the insid edge. I pin at each edge and in the middle. Then sew the fan to the background. This makes the seam very even and no hand sewinig. You can use lace or rickrack on the inner circle also.

okiepastor 05-01-2011 08:28 AM

Fairly easy to make---not rank beginner friendly, but not too hard.

Iamquilter 05-01-2011 08:52 AM

I have made several( rounded tops and pointed tops) and they are easy to put together.

glenda5253 05-01-2011 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by lauriequilts

lauriequilts - Your quilt is beautiful! When I first glanced at it I was thinking, "No it isn't, it's a dresden plate." Upon closer look of course it's GF = love the way you 'modernized' it.