Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Request from DIL (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-request-dil-t26493.html)

purrfectbarb 10-04-2009 07:20 AM

My DIL asked me to do a quilt for her using the clothes from the grandbaby. He's 18 mos. old now and the clothes are from his 1st year. She handed me a huge bag of clothes and wants blocks with the logos and embroidery on them. I'm at a loss as to how to even start this. She has a lot of confidence in me, but I have none. Could someone please help me? Thnks.

joeyoz 10-04-2009 07:59 AM

Not knowing what kind of fabric these clothes are made from, I'm sure some of them are kinda stretchy. I would just start by cutting them into squares with the logos and embroidery in the center. The stretchy ones I would maybe iron a lightweight stabilizer on the back. Then just start sewing blocks together. Maybe throw in a few pieced blocks.

Hopefully others will chime in and give you some better ideas. :D :D :D

patricej 10-04-2009 08:19 AM

i'd start by handing the bag right back to her so SHE can cut them up into squares. :lol:

Mousie 10-04-2009 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i'd start by handing the bag right back to her so SHE can cut them up into squares. :lol:

That sounds like an excellent idea!
That way, she will have the ones she wants included the most, and cut down on your frustration. She is being too vague and expecting a miracle. Probably bc she doesn't understand the process, but this will be a good starting point to learn from. :D
P.S. be sure if she cuts them, that she adds a seam allowance.

joeyoz 10-04-2009 08:24 AM

LMAO!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I like your idea better Patrice. :D :D :D

azdesertrat 10-04-2009 08:34 AM

I just got done putting together a quilt top of tee shirts.cutting out the "picture" from the shirt,(I just took a class) and ironed a lightwieght stabilizer to the back of each one,I framed each "shirt" with fabric,then put them together.I ended up with large blocks 12" each I think.but it came out really nice,just have to do sew the last row to the rest and the top is done.the most important thing is to try to make the squares all the same size if at all possible

joeyoz 10-04-2009 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by azdesertrat
I just got done putting together a quilt top of tee shirts.cutting out the "picture" from the shirt,(I just took a class) and ironed a lightwieght stabilizer to the back of each one,I framed each "shirt" with fabric,then put them together.I ended up with large blocks 12" each I think.but it came out really nice,just have to do sew the last row to the rest and the top is done.the most important thing is to try to make the squares all the same size if at all possible

Maybe if you posted a picture it would help give purrfectbarb an idea. Yours sounds great azdesertrat.

trupeach 10-04-2009 08:39 AM

I AGREE !!!!!!

tlrnhi 10-04-2009 08:41 AM

Yep...I agree with Patrice.
You could also have her sit with you and SHOW you what she wants done. That way, if you make something and it's not what she is wanting, then you can tell her that you did what she wanted.
It's hard on us to make something when someone is as vague as your DD is being.

bearisgray 10-04-2009 08:44 AM

My thought, also. She obviously has no kind of clue of what's involved.

:?