Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Retreat packing list? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-retreat-packing-list-t309272.html)

Rff1010 01-18-2020 01:05 AM

Quilt Retreat packing list?

I only started quilting last year (18 mo ago) but have taken to the hobby like a duck to water. So happy! ...but there's still a lot of stuff I don't know. So when a LQS I saw posted about a quilting retreat I signed up! One day, church basement kind of thing.

So dear Internets- what should I pack? How many projects? Just blocks or can I bring quilts to be sandwiches and quilted? Fabric to be shared? Cookies? Seriously no answer is too stupid. (Well, I know I need the sewing machine but other than that...)

Peckish 01-18-2020 01:33 AM

I have a list I use every time I go on a retreat, I will gladly share it with you. Depending on the location and amenities offered at your retreat, you may not need every item I have on my list.

Definitely have projects cut out ahead of time, the cutting stations always seem to be the busiest spots with the longest wait times.

 Sewing Machine
o Cord
o Foot Pedal
o Feet
o Thread Holder
o Needles
 Bobbins
 Thread
 Power Strip
 Extension Table for Machine
 Pins/Needles
 Seam Ripper
 Scissors
o Fabric
o Paper
 Marking Tools
o Pencil
o Pen
o Chalk
 Eraser
 Rotary Cutter(s)
 Extra Blades
 Tape Measure
 Calculator
 Glue Stick
 Iron
 Ironing Board w/ clamps
 Water bottle for Iron
 Cutting Mat
 Rulers
 Lamp
 Notebook
 Projects - Fabric
o _______________________
 Show & Tell
 Pillow
 Quilt to put on bed
 Camera
 Phone Charger
 Towel/washcloth
 Reading Glasses
 Clothes
 Robe
 Slippers
 Bathroom Items
o Shampoo
o Conditioner
o Makeup
o Hair Brush
o Hair Dryer
o Deodorant
o Toothbrush
o Toothpaste
o Medications

jmoore 01-18-2020 03:34 AM

I think Peggi has it down...I went on a one day sewing retreat yesterday and took a healthy salad, water bottle and a snack. A few other ladies had brought chair cushions.

eparys 01-18-2020 04:25 AM

Great List- Peckish - I think your list is dead spot on!! I have been to day retreats and retreats that last up to four days. That list would cover everything!!

I bring way too much - I could not physically do it all but I have found that there are times I have "forgotten" a critical part or I open a project box and say "Eww - I'm not up for that" . My choice of projects also depends on the retreat and whether I have a lot of room. I have been to retreats that have 2 quilters per table (and they were not large tables) and one retreat where it is small (15 ladies) and we have a huge table to ourselves. On those crowded retreats I bring one of those small individual folding tables for my little ironing board. I also do any cutting in advance. Then I put the pieces in baggies(with a paper telling which color and piece number they are). Then all the parts go into a box with all the extra fabric , the directions and thread if needed.

Our small retreat has a swap table - you can bring anything related to quilting, knitting, crocheting, embroidery etc ... Several bring snacks to share.

On the overnight retreats, I also have seen ladies come to retreat and in the first day their machine breaks. If you are near to your home, that is not a game changer, but if you have traveled a distance it might ruin you retreat.So, while it has so far has never happened to me, I have started throwing in my featherweight as well as my big machine.

One last item I will stress - All of our equipment looks identical to everyone else's. So all those items have my name on them. During the holiday season we always get these "free" address labels. I trim them down with scissors so that all I have left is a sliver with my name on it and stick them on everything.

The organizer should give you specifics as to the food and how many quilters per table. I know you will have fun!!

Onebyone 01-18-2020 05:27 AM

A one day retreat is a sew day for my guild. We have an open sew day every week. I take only the supplies I need for the project I'm working on. For retreats that are several days long I pack individual projects with all the items needed for that project like specialty rulers, thread, etc in a project tote. I always take a back up machine to retreats.

juliasb 01-18-2020 07:30 AM

I go to a one day Sit and Sew in a church basement once a month and it is an all day thing. Each of us bring projects to work on and lunch. The list above minus the toiletries . The good thing is that if something is forgotten, like I forgot my seam ripper, someone is eager to share. It is like on one day retreat. I have loads of fun. You will to. Go for it make sure you have your cables and sewing kit extra made up bobbins and you are ready to sing!

Iceblossom 01-18-2020 08:01 AM

I have a regular Tuesday group, on Monday I pack my bag including whatever I am working on that day and my regular sewing kit. I usually have fabrics to share or show and tell.

I don't do classes much but I see some of the people come in with wonderful rolling suitcases and organizers and all sorts of drool worthy items. Other people have stuff in grocery store bags and make multiple scattered trips. I'm sort of between the two.

But yes, for a day long thing, pack lunch and neat (and preferably not strong scented) snacks if you need them. Some people don't eat all day and some people eat every 2 hours.

Bring everything you need for your project. Rulers, cutters, etc. Mark them with your name or other identifier (pink handles, whatever). Things get put down, borrowed, etc.

thimblebug6000 01-18-2020 08:27 AM

I usually take a little thread catcher bag to keep next to my machine as well. And I take masking tape and a piece of flannelette
just in case I want to make a temporary design wall.

petthefabric 01-18-2020 09:47 AM

All of the above lists are great.

This is how I pack for 1 day sewing.
First, I have a rolling sewing machine bag that stays packed with machine, cords, cutting tools, ironing tools, pad for the chair, seam ripper, scissors, stilleto, mechanical pencil, paper, loaded pin cushion, trash bag.

Second, I decide what project to work on. Then gather all tools and cut fabric for that. I would pack a back-up project.

Since I have special dietary needs, I pack all the food and drinks needed for 1 day. And my medicines.

Dress in layers. I'm usually hot, so I take a personal fan.

Lighting may be an issue.

A great attitude: Have Fun.

toverly 01-18-2020 01:13 PM

I always plan something simple for Retreats. There is usually so much talking, sharing and laughing that anything complicated quickly gets stymied. My favorite thing to take is layer cakes with one of the cake mix recipes. I have everything ready and fabrics paired. All I have to do is stitch.