Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Retreat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-retreat-t245420.html)

SingerSewer 04-19-2014 06:30 AM

Quilt Retreat

In a few weeks I will be going on a quilt retreat. It is about 250 miles away so I can't run home to get things I left. I just don't want to take a whole bunch of stuff I don't need. I will be taking a couple of projects and will take a one day class as well.

What do you consider the essentials?

Thank you

SandyinZ4 04-19-2014 06:37 AM

I think it depends on what kind of class you are taking. Will you be learning something new or just working on your own project.s For sure take basic sewing supplies (BSS) thread, seam ripper, rotary cutter, bobbins, scissors, cutting mat, rulers, extra needles, fabric, leader-enders, cushion for sitting in case chairs are hard, your own pillow if you are spending the night, and snacks. Sometimes I take little gifts for the others at the retreat like seam rippers, scissors minders or some other little thing to remind them of that fun time together. Anyone else have suggestions?

quilt addict 04-19-2014 07:21 AM

I am doing a retreat next month. You might consider a mat for your sewing machine to sit on. Some tables are thin and you may get vibrations. I want to make one that hangs over the front of the table that has some pockets. You could just get a placemat made of the cushiony nonslip material or shelf liner.

Also take some extra materials unless there is a shop nearby then take some fun money. Some fat quarters maybe nice that you can swap with others if they have something you need.

Also, extension cord and a small light if you have them are nice. Do you need a design wall, you can bring a piece of flannel/sheet with some of the wonder hooks that you can put up on the wall if there is space.

Mostly enjoy!

PaperPrincess 04-19-2014 07:32 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t-t238793.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t-t233329.html

SingerSewer 04-19-2014 07:35 AM

Information received on the quilt retreat:

Spacious work area, 2-2 x 4 ft tables provided for each guest.

Electric in floor and power strips on top of table for guest convenience.

Ample design walls for quilters

Cutting and ironing tables, with 2 irons at each ironing table provided for quilters.

Kitchenette area in meeting room, complete with full size refrigerator, microwave, and Keurig coffee maker for guest use.

Quilt shop on site.

All meals provided.

dunster 04-19-2014 07:40 AM

Many people remember to take the sewing machine but forget necessary parts like the foot control, the power cable, the extra feet, extra needles - so be sure you take all of those. Also I think it is helpful to take along the manual to your sewing machine, just in case you have a problem and need to look something up.

It's also helpful to have some kind of box, like maybe a plastic shoebox, that you can put your supplies in while you're sewing so that they're readily accessible but not floating around on the table, which may be shared by many people. Mark your supplies in some way so that you can tell which ones are yours and not grab someone else's by mistake.

Tothill 04-19-2014 07:57 AM

Write you name on everything you can.

I have my last name ( it is unique) and telephone number on my machines, foot pedal, power cords, scissors, rotary cutter cutting mat, tool box, machine case etc, in indelible ink. I do not just tie a ribbon to the handle of my scissors.

Remember to write you name on your patters (each page) any notebooks you may bring too.

I had never had anything go missing before I started to do this, but I had been in workshops where other people had things go missing.

A friend forgot her machine's power cord. Luckily the shop that was doing the retreat was able to loan her one for the weekend.

If you have time for multiple projects bring the fabrics, pattern, template, thread etc for each in a separate tote.

I am a tea snob and bring my own tea. I do bring enough to share with others if they are interested.

I also being fresh fruit. I used to bring carrot sticks, but the crunching, (I guess I am a noisy eater) can annoy others. I also follow a primarily Gluten Free diet. I make sure I bring snacks that I can eat and again enough to share.

Have fun!

toverly 04-19-2014 10:00 AM

If you're driving, I even once took a spare machine to a retreat. It was a 3 day retreat and I wanted to make certain that i had everything. I had fabric in tubs in the trunk and my supplies and machines in the car. I didn't need them but it was nice to know they were there. It also would have been handy to have some business cards made up with my name, address, email and phone number. I made some new friends and we quickly exchanged names on the last day. A card would have been nice to hand out. Not that I'm a business, just a new friend.

Beach Bum Quilter 04-19-2014 12:16 PM

I'm also headed to a quilt retreat in a few weeks in Texas. Went last year and am totally hooked! As far as "essentials" - I just pack everything I think I'll use from my quilting room. Besides the obvious (my machine, materials for all projects I'll be working on), I take my own cutting mats and iron with small ironing board unless I'm ironing something big. I also bring an Ott Light & a lighted magnifier in I need extra light. If I'm sewing a lot without taking many breaks, my eyes will get tired and the extra light comes in handy. Also I take lip balm and moisturizing eye drops. Oh...and house slippers. Once I get there, I'm in my house slippers pretty much the whole time. Comfortable clothing. Snacks, gum, camera or your phone camera. Okay -I'm getting very excited to be on the road soon! :) Hope you have a great time at your retreat!

lovequilts 04-19-2014 12:26 PM

Take more projects than you think you need. I messed up on one and didn't bring extra fabric....glad I had a couple back up projects. My retreat was 4 days......I had pillow cases already to go and sewed those for some "mindless" sewing. Was able to donate a total of 25 pillow cases to the Washington State Slide survivors.....