Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Room in Basement? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-room-basement-t84696.html)

mcdaniel023 12-23-2010 09:08 AM

Mine is in the basement. But, the basement is finished. I do have a burber carpet remnant. I love my room and it's privacy. You just need a lot of light.

MaRanda 12-23-2010 10:07 AM

I just recently set up my quilting area in the basement. We have a dehumidifier. I make sure and do a few loads of laundry while I am quilting which is in a room next to my sewing area. My DH has put in a new ceiling & all new track lighting! It is awesome. TV set up in ironing area! It is so nice to be able to leave the area & come back and it is as I left it! Moving everything from the kitchen at mealtime was getting old! Lots a room, warm and bright, what more could I ask for!!? Moooore fabric!! :)

cassiemae 12-23-2010 10:21 AM

I have my sewing room in the basement, we have a 4 level
home and it is in the 4th level. I LOVE it there I have radio and a TV down there. One nice thing is you do not have to put everything away when you are done. (YEAH)
:thumbup:

ptquilts 12-23-2010 10:27 AM

I had some quilts stored in the basement, which is only half below grade and top half wood frame construction. The quilts were always above grade. They still got a musty smell, but it goes away after a day of airing.

Momofthree 12-23-2010 10:29 AM

I have the room in the basement but with it being unfinished it is way too cold to work down there. My poor fingers won't work right. I may end up moving down there this summer!

Flour Sack Mama 12-23-2010 10:40 AM

Just another health consideration. I would run a radon test (you can get a kit at most home improvement stores) to make sure the levels aren't too high, since you plan on spending lots of time there.

natalieg 12-23-2010 10:41 AM

My sewing room is in the basement ever since mother-in-law moved in and kids moved out! I took over the largest bedroom so I could fit my short-arm in there. I have had it in the other bedroom (guestroom) and the rec-room, but like the biggest one better-can spread out more and lots of shelves in closet for storing containers and such.
I do have a little light issue, but that is easily resolved. I also have a large sewign cabinet in the main part of the house (grand room) because my MIL can't be left alone while awake for long.

Lori S 12-23-2010 10:47 AM

I have a studio in the basement. I love it . No one knows its all down there , and I can leave it as is and come back without the stress of looking at my mess.
I am in IL. so our "conditions" are similar. A few things , do get a dehumidifer both for the fabric and the machine. Computerized machines do not like prolonged humidity. This is a summer issue. I love sewing there in the summer as it is so cool. But do get a space heater for the winter. I preheat the space for about 20 minutes before sewing. Its surprising how much heat comes off the iron , so once I am into it , I turn off the space heater.
I put lots of flouesant lights in the space so its like daylight in my room.... but any light will fade fabric over time , so plan for how to keep your stash from the light exposure.
Consider purchasing a battery backup for your sump pump on the rare chance that a power outage might cause a flood, they are called an "ace inthe Hole".
I do some times miss a window but find having it out of sight from the rest of the house is worth the trade off.
Oh one last tip, inthe winter I wear wool socks , sounds like not a big deal ... but it really made a huge differnce since the floor is always cool. The dogs love that I am down there in the summer , as they love the cool floor.

Leota 12-23-2010 10:50 AM

sounds like a good plan to me...

WisconsinCheryl 12-23-2010 11:47 AM

What great suggestions you all have! That is why I like this board. I often use the 'search' option and read past posts for ideas too especially when making a purchase on a quilting tool. Wishing you all a very Happy 2011 of quilting success.