Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt shop question - unrealistic expectations? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-shop-question-unrealistic-expectations-t164908.html)

qbquilts 11-02-2011 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma58 (Post 4614362)
Recently while working on all of my star quilts, I have been to all of my local quilt shops. One is a bit cold and unfriendly no end of the bolt discounts, another one can not cut 6" of fabric, this measurement is not programmed into the computer, not can they hold a bolt while I am consulting with my customers about specific colors. The last one has the least for selection but a good selection, they can cut any size I want and hold the bolt until I know for sure. There is a small perturbed part of me that wants to call my use to be favorite shop and tell them you just lost a good 1000. to 1200. in sales all because I can not buy 6" of fabric and it is to inconvenient for you to hold fabric. I should mention I do not need to shop in any of these stores as I can buy wholesale. I doubt I will call them, but I would love feedback. Am I being unrealistic?

If you don't like these stores, don't shop there.
--- end of bolt discount - out of curiosity, why is it expected that a store has to give certain discounts?
--- 6" of fabric - some of the computer programs (for inventory & checkout) do not allow amounts to be manually entered, they must be selected from a predetermined list of amounts. Would an extra 3" really hurt you that much? Assuming the bolt is about $10/yard, that's only $.83. If you must buy in certain increments, then include that cost in your product.
--- holding the bolt - how long do you expect them to hold the bolt? I've never asked a store to hold a bolt - I either get what I want then or write down the bolt info and get it later - either at that store or online. Have they previously held the bolt for you and lost money because if it?

alfosa421 11-02-2011 05:24 AM

I quit going to a local when the salesclerk, who was great at calculating how much fabric I need for a specific project insisted that I needed a particular color for the back of a Beatrix Potter quilt. I have only been back once in 2 years when I was looking for a charity block that only they were carrying. For what I spend on fabric I feel I should be treated with a little more respect

Lori S 11-02-2011 05:33 AM

Spend your money where you get what you expect. I had a similiar issue at a LQS .... I spend my money elsewhere. I too spend a good amount on an annual basis about $2000 per year ... I feel strongely that we have a voice .... its our wallets.
AS for calling ... I doubt it would change anything , but understand you may want to give the owner an opportunity to hear one last time why you are not happy and are considering a change in where you spend your $$$

catmcclure 11-02-2011 06:03 AM

I was making a quilt for my grandson. Looked all over for a border print of elk and trees. Finally found it in a shop in Phoenix. However, they only "tear" their fabric - would not cut for me. I'm sorry, but even giving me a couple of inches extra does not make up for my having to try to fix that warped edge. They said it was their "policy". I told them it was my "policy" never to buy fabric that's been torn instead of cut.