Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Shops Closing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-shops-closing-t212848.html)

amandasgramma 02-04-2013 07:08 AM

I was working at a LQS this winter for a few days.....I couldn't believe how many people came in and told us the quilt shops in their area had closed. Southern Oregon has lost a lot of shops!!!! I don't know about the northern part of Oregon. According to one woman, 5 shops in the Klamath Falls area has closed in the the last 5 yrs. and another told me the sw coast is down to 1 shop!!!!

bunniequilter 02-04-2013 07:17 AM

As with just about everything the internet has had a negative impact on your LQS. Many of us dont have the pleasure of a local quilt shop so we shop online. I am guilty of online shopping because I have to. I would love to be able to see touch and feel my fabrics before I buy but I dont have that option. Wish I did.

TexasGurl 02-04-2013 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by coffeebreak (Post 5835347)
It's kind of like scrapbooking stores...back 5 years ago for about the 5 prior to that...SB stores all over the place, but I looked and again...really expensive stuff in there! I'd go an look for ideas etc, but seldom bought to much. Just couldnt afford it. Then Joann's nad Michael's put in SB departments and things were alot cheaper (now...REALLY cheap!) and the SB stores started closing. I don't know of a single one anymore and there were quite a few around 5 years ago.

We had 3 nice SB stores here 5-10 yrs ago, and all 3 are closed now ...last one closed about 2 yrs ago.
But one difference I've noticed, out of at least 10 friends who were BIGTIME scrappers then, only 2 are STILL scrapping, and even those 2 aren't doing much anymore. That's a big part of the reason I'm sure ... how MANY scrapbooks can one person make - or need ?? Seems to be a much higher dropout rate than with quilters. That combined with sales lost to chain retailers and online did the local shops in ...

thimblebug6000 02-04-2013 09:04 AM

When members post pictures of their quilt rooms at home & I see the huge stashes that they have, I think WOW no wonder so many shops are closing. These people purchased huge amounts of fabrics in the past, and the stores probably based their inventory on the sales staying level or increasing. Now people are looking to use up their stash & only pop into the quilt shop for thread or one or two small pieces that are needed to coordinate with their stash at home. Just another thought.... and yes our little shops have closed in town but we still have one about 3/4 hour away.

Kathy Osterby 02-04-2013 10:09 AM

The only quilt shop in my area closed 1 month after I moved here from ILL!!! Now I wait until I can get to the BIG city every 6 weeks or shop by catalog or on line. Big city is 125 miles away so it's an all day affair when we go. I'm thankful for all the shop suggestions I get from the board and it's so much fun "looking".

Sandy65 02-05-2013 04:07 AM

We also have quilt shops closing. I like to go to the shops and buy my fabric. I like to see the real thing.

giquilt 02-05-2013 04:17 AM

Last year had one open in mid TN. Others I know about still open.

patricej 02-05-2013 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags (Post 5835388)
One of the newest and fastest growing reasons is called “Showrooming”, in which shoppers look at merchandise in stores, but buy online at lower prices. Sometimes they’ll do it on their Smart Phone right there in the retail shop to make sure that they get the correct pattern number.

i recently turned those tables. i saw something interesting at a website. got color names and numbers and then i went to a local shop so i could see them in person. :)

bstroud51 02-05-2013 04:27 AM

Fabric prices have gone so crazy it makes it hard to buy. $11.00 a yard for the good fabric in my area. Buying on line is not as much fun but the prices are not as high.

Alexandra 02-05-2013 04:48 AM

I am trying to use up my 'stash' so I seldom buy any new fabrics. I still get pangs when I go to groups and someone has a catalog of the 'new' stuff. But I promised myself I would use up as much as I can before I buy new. With the economy the way it is, many quilters have turned to their stashes.