Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Shops have personalities, too! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-shops-have-personalities-too-t220755.html)

GammaLou 05-07-2013 09:47 AM

Oh, how could I forget Fancy Gap in the Virginia Mountains!! It is a huge store with tons of fabrics of all kinds, batting, tools, etc. etc. etc.

berryberry 05-07-2013 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by GammaLou (Post 6050441)
Oh, how could I forget Fancy Gap in the Virginia Mountains!! It is a huge store with tons of fabrics of all kinds, batting, tools, etc. etc. etc.

Can you tell me a bit more about this shop? There's a place in Va. called Fancy Gap but I can't find a quilt shop listing. Is it off 77 going towards NC? That's my understanding of where the town of Fancy Gap is.
There's a shop at 77 and 81 in Wytheville that has batiks and more batiks. Beautiful shop downtown Wytheville which would be about 15 miles from the town of Fancy Gap. (Oh joy! I may have a new to me store to visit.)

Shorebird 05-07-2013 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by dd (Post 6045811)
We have Wilson's in Hagerstown, MD, http://www.iluv2quilt.com/ . It's billed the prettiest quilt shop in western Maryland. It's Mennonite owned and operated. Just a really nice place to visit.

DITTO FOR ME!! I feel, at times, like I live @ Wilson's.........Great Shop!!! BTW - are you going to the sewing and quilt expo in Baltimore? I am taking off on Friday to head over there.

solstice3 05-07-2013 01:28 PM

The Quilted Raven in Anchorage, Ak and the one across from the Princess Lodge in Denali Ak are two nice ones to visit if you are vacationing in Alaska

Iraxy 05-07-2013 03:21 PM

There is a little quilt store in Mineola, Texas (Mineola Needleworks)that is just the most wonderful place. The owner Loretta is a quilter and she is a fount of information. I used to love to go there. Many "ladies" would go there and complain that she did not have every line in every color, and did not take into account that she was a small business owner. Last I heard before I moved, the store was doing well. I hope she is still in business and that it is thriving. She also hand dyes fabric to order if requested.

jmoore 05-13-2013 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by kheliwud (Post 6045671)
I often travel for work and one of the things I do when planning a trip is to research the LQS in the towns I visit. I recently got to visit the Cotton Cupboard in Bangor, Maine.

Another LQS I like is the City Quilter in New York City. Such a neat "local" quilt shop in Manhattan, I always make time to get a visit. Any of you have recommendations in towns you visit?

I am the same. Anytime I travel, I look for LQS. I have yet to visit City Quilter in NYC but have put their address and business hours in my Iphone as I have to travel there 3 or 4 times a year.

Last year when I visited my old home town in Vacaville, CA, I discovered 'A Quilted Heart' and loved the staff and selection of fabrics. I lived in Vacaville for about 15 years and never knew of it's existance... I was too busy raising 2 boyscouts who also played every sport imagineable...

Having recently moved to Maine and taking quilting back up after 30 years, I have found many wonderful LQS.

TootsieScott 05-13-2013 03:28 AM

We have several in our area--Central MA. Fabric Stash in Charlton, Charlton Sewing Center are both great and my favorite is Meeting House Quilts in Wales, MA. They all have web sites so if you google them you can visit them online.

JoyjoyMarie 05-13-2013 08:52 AM

I should have mentioned my local shops in my post which both have lots of beautiful fabrics and classes - we have the Singer Sewing Center in Dover, DE which has lots of quilting expertise and fabrics, as well as Mare's Bears in Lewes, DE. Sadly the closest LQS to me just closed out in March- they had great stuff too. :(

quiltgodess 05-13-2013 08:22 PM

Mary Jo's is on Route 85 exit 21 in Gaston, N.C. Lots of fabric at great prices and helpful staff. I always stop on my way to my son's house in Georgia.