Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt shops in NE North Carolina? Moving there this summer. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-shops-ne-north-carolina-moving-there-summer-t245629.html)

mshollysd 04-23-2014 04:12 AM

Quilt shops in NE North Carolina? Moving there this summer.

We are moving to Elizabeth City NC, and driving around, I didn't find any quilt shops in the city. Does anyone know of any in that area? Someone did tell me there was a long arm quilter north of town, but not much else.

gigigray032447 04-23-2014 04:30 AM

Good luck on your move. I'm not familiar with shops there but I know the best long armer I have ever had dealings with in Chapel Hill.

Quiltngolfer 04-23-2014 04:52 AM

I don't know about the quilt shops, but sounds like you are making a good move as far as weather is concerned. Have you tried googling quilt shops in NC?

alleyoop1 04-23-2014 05:01 AM

Not familiar with that area but I do know a great guilt/fabric shop in Chesapeake, VA. It's A Different Touch on Military Highway. They have quality fabrics, great classes and a friendly staff. Oh, and NO, I don't work for them! I just spend my money there!
I realize it's quite a ride from Eliz. City to Chesapeake but it would be a nice day trip for you.

everbtrue 04-23-2014 07:59 AM

Can't help you with with Elizabeth City but there is a major quilt show in Feb in Hampton VA which is worth the trip. NC also has a yearly quilting symposium with teachers & vendors. It moves around the state & is often in the East. I'm sure once you get here, you will find more places. We moved here 10 years ago from New England. Told hubby I couldn't move until we found a quilt shop, craft store & a large book store. He found all 3 within driving distance.

Also, it's an overnight trip but we do have MaryJo's in Gastonia!!

Welcome to NC.

CorgiNole 04-23-2014 10:53 AM

Welcome to NC!

I'm in Chapel Hill - Thimble Pleasures is my go to store.

Elizabeth City is way east of us. In a quick google search, I see a few possible candidates - Terris' Fashion Fabrics in Rocky Mount; All About Quilting in Jacksonville; New Bern Fabric Center in New Bern - but all of these are a bit of a drive. I haven't been to any of those. I do like Loving Stitches in Fayetteville and there are several great stores in the Raleigh area.

You are actually closer to the Hampton VA area - Fabric Hut in Norfolk, VA; Sara's Thimble and Sew E-Z in Virginia Beach.

I agree that the Mid Atlantic Quilt Festival in Hampton (end of February) is worth the trip. NC Quilt Symposium is also a great experience and draws quilters from all over the state (generally the end of May).

Cheers, K

carolina quilter 04-23-2014 04:46 PM

Quilt Lizzy in Warrenton is great. She also does longarm quilting.

mshollysd 05-01-2014 04:18 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions. I heard there was a longarmer north of Elizabeth City, so didn't know if she had a shop too.