Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Show Credits ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-show-credits-t285796.html)

suern3 02-04-2017 03:44 PM

Quilt Show Credits ?

I went with friends yesterday to a very nice quilt show. As we looked at so many beautiful quilts, reading the labels, the question came up about giving the designer of the quilt patterns credit on the show labels. That information is usually not included on any that I have seen. Several quilts were patterns that I have made or have purchased patterns for. Don't want to stir up anything, but it seems like it would be at least a courtesy to mention that information. What do others think about this? Just me?

ArtsyOne 02-04-2017 04:39 PM

I agree with you in principle, but I think it might be difficult in practice. If I use a pattern but make it in totally different fabrics/colors and then add a couple of mitred borders that aren't in the pattern, is it still your pattern or has it become my own? I've never followed a pattern exactly, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who uses a pattern as a starting point for my own creativity. And maybe my result is really ugly and the pattern maker would prefer not to have his/her name associated with it (joking). Definitely a point for discussion, though.

applique 02-04-2017 06:34 PM

You could always say 'inspired by .....pattern'.

quiltingshorttimer 02-04-2017 07:28 PM

I usually say "my variation of...."

Tartan 02-04-2017 08:50 PM

If I remember the name of the pattern, I include it. Most of the time though, it is my version of something I've seen.

QuiltnLady1 02-04-2017 09:19 PM

Some pattern makers state in their patterns that you can only display a quilt from their pattern in a quilt show if they are given credit as the designer. I think the big issue is if the quilt is a masterpiece that makes it into the bigger shows and the designer sees it without the proper permission of designation.

toverly 02-05-2017 05:22 AM

That debate happens at our show every time. There are so many people putting their name on classic quilt blocks that I am up in the air about it. To me, if it is a kit or purchased pattern by all means note the designer. IF it was seen on tv, pintrest or other media, it's fair game. A quilter shouldn't pass anything off as original unless it's truly original. References are nice for others who might like to make the pattern.

Melanie Rudy 02-05-2017 06:06 AM

Giving the credit or "inspired by" would be an honor to the pattern designer. I do appreciate this when others make my designs.

Watson 02-05-2017 06:19 AM

When I applied for a big show it said right on the entry:
  • Credit must be given to the author, teacher, artist, etc. who inspired the work.
Not sure if this will be on the labels, but it did have to be with the entry.

Watson

Onebyone 02-05-2017 06:45 AM

I go to a lot of national shows. I see quilts made from popular patterns and many times no reference to the pattern designer for the audience to see.