Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Show Entries (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-show-entries-t144082.html)

DFWTexasNative 08-10-2011 07:24 AM

Hi, Ladies and Gents,

I have been tasked by my family to enter a quilt into our Great State Fair competition this year. My question to you who have entered quilts into contests - do you wash your quilt before you enter it?

I watch and read this site every day and love, love, love all the quilts and talent and love that I get - even if I am a "Registered Lurker". Thanks for your input

kraftykimberly 08-10-2011 07:29 AM

All those that I have entered so far have not been washed, but Im not opposed to entering one after the fact. I like the crinkly look that comes with washing.

BrendaK 08-10-2011 07:29 AM

Ha,HA. Lurker no more. Welcome from CA. Don't enter any contests.I will be watching this thread to see what is said. Good luck. BrendaK

Numa 08-10-2011 07:34 AM

Sometimes they have been washed because they have been used. Other times they weren't because I had just made them and I don't wash quilts til they are used. So I'm no help at all probably!But go for it and do well!

DFWTexasNative 08-10-2011 07:34 AM

Ha, Ha, BrendaK.

This will probably be my first and last. I have to finish so I can save face with the family. Their support is so very good for my soul. But it certainly does put a lot of pressure on me to "do it right". And thanks for the good luck wish!
TerryC

Hinterland 08-10-2011 07:40 AM

I do wash mine, mostly to get any markings or dirt off it.

I don't put it in the dryer. I block it and make sure it's square, and let it air dry.

Good luck on entering - it's always wonderful to see your quilt hanging in a show.

Janet

charismah 08-10-2011 08:21 AM

Well I am entering quilts for the first time in our local fair. I only have two that meet the requirements...and that are completely finished...*smile*
One of them I am not washing. The other one I didn't wash but I used trapunto to quilt it..so I have to block it so it hangs straight. I don't think you should wash them unless you need to....even the one I am blocking..I am not washing it..I am just spraying it pretty thoroughly with a spray bottle.

bakermom 08-10-2011 08:31 AM

Good Luck to both of you! It's fun to see something you've made hanging on display at the fair!

Hinterland 08-10-2011 08:32 AM

I used to simply spray the quilt with water until I read an article by Candy Goff on blocking. She used to have a website that was a wealth of quilt information...sadly, it's been taken down. Anyway, she washed her quilts because it helped "release" the batting so the quilting stood out better.

I can't say I've noticed much difference, except that washing gets rid of the marks. If you're machine quilting you may not have that problem.

Janet

DFWTexasNative 08-16-2011 09:01 AM

Thank you all for your thoughts. Sorry for the delayed response - sick husband, sick cat, sick dog and trying to get a kid in college took a lot of time last week. All are better and my daughter has almost decided on what classes she is taking. Life is good.

Terry