Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Show Etiquette (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-show-etiquette-t67823.html)

Tink74 10-01-2010 07:13 PM

Tomorrow I am about to go to my first quilt show put on by a local Guild...

I am also a photographer by hobby...

What is propper etiquette for picture taking at quilt shows?

charmpacksplus 10-01-2010 07:16 PM

A lot of times there will be a sign saying NO CAMERAS but if they don't, you might just ask at the door.

maine ladybug 10-01-2010 07:19 PM

I would just make sure to look for signs that would tell you no pictures in some areas. Most shows allow you to take pictures, but sometimes featured people don't want you to.

darlin121 10-01-2010 07:26 PM

I usually take my camera with me but set my camera so that it DOES NOT FLASH. I was told that repeated flash from a camera will do harm to the quilt fabric. Who knew?
Other than that I suggest you simply ask at the door. Tell them you won't be using the flash and they may let you take pictures. This has been my experiance anyway.

wvdek 10-01-2010 07:28 PM

No touching the quilts unless gloves are provided (usually latex disposable gloves are provided), no eating or drinking around them as well as smoking, pictures only if they are allowed. Even if it is the most god-awful quilt you have ever seen, keep it to yourself. I know this goes without saying being we are adult, but there have been posts here about people's rudeness at shows and I have experienced it myself. Besides, you never know who is listening. Other than that, have a great time and enjoy yourself. If you are allowed pics, take plenty of them and show us.

craftybear 10-01-2010 07:30 PM

have fun and hope to see some pictures that you take for all of us to enjoy

bearisgray 10-01-2010 07:33 PM

Now I have a question -

If one takes photos at a quilt show - and doesn't get specific permission from the maker or show - is it still okay to "publish" them here?

There has been so much to-do about copyrights lately that I'm getting skitterish.

LindaM 10-01-2010 07:36 PM

There may be a DVD available for you to purchase - our last show we did a photo of every quilt. We sold ours for $5. Many of the shows in our area I've been to in the last few years have had these.

Sometimes you get so wrapped up in taking the photos that you don't take the time to appreciate the quilts. So if you purchase the DVD, you can take focus on taking snaps of the quilts that wow you the most!

ghostrider 10-01-2010 07:38 PM

It's always best to ask at the door as you enter and not just assume it's okay if you see no sign. Also, some shows will allow you to take pictures, but not allow you to "publish" them without the quilt maker's permission (publish includes internet posting).

moonwolf23 10-01-2010 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tink74
Tomorrow I am about to go to my first quilt show put on by a local Guild...

I am also a photographer by hobby...

What is propper etiquette for picture taking at quilt shows?

If your a photographer by hobby,you may want to see if your local paper will publish them for you. I know until Gannet couldn't afford many freelancers, they paid me 50 bucks to put them on the web.

If you offer to burn them a disk I don't think they'd mind. I know I got in for free at the Quilt show hosted by the Craft guild, because they considered me a press person.