Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Show questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-show-questions-t179387.html)

JaneH 02-14-2012 02:21 PM

Quilt Show questions

I'm interested in attending the Houston Quilt Festival.... I think. Is this the best one for non-trade attendees? What could I expect as far as vendors, demonstrations, workshops, etc.? I've never been to any but think it sounds like something I'd like to do.

Any advice please?

Scissor Queen 02-14-2012 02:30 PM

You can expect everything. The single most important thing you'll want to bring is ultra comfy walking shoes because you'll walk miles before you've seen it all!

Jan in VA 02-14-2012 04:41 PM

Houston is the most overwhelming, exhausting, stimulating, exciting, exhausting, busy, abundant, exhausting, prolific, skilled, overwhelming show ever. :eek::o

There are THREE huge floors of events (granted the show and vendors are on the ground floor), fashion shows-lectures-tons of classes, HUNDREDS of vendors, the most phenomenal quilts, long lines, miles and miles of walking, valet parking (SO worth it for anyone with mobility issues), full shuttle buses, interesting restaurants in town, upscale hotels and rundown locations, money-money-money spent, and 50,000 visitors from more countries than you can count.

You will use every day it is open to explore it all!

You will be talking about your visit to the Houston Festival for decades to come!

Jan in VA

ckcowl 02-14-2012 05:05 PM

visit the web sites for the different shows - they contain a wealth of information about vendors, classes, workshops, schedules...ect.
mqs & aqs sites both tell you about the big shows across the country

guntherquilter 02-14-2012 06:32 PM

This is what I have learned about quilt expos: Take a supply of your mailing return address labels with you. Lots of the vendors have sign ups for free stuff. Stick on a label and it saves you time writing your name and address. Also, if you can get an on line brochure/map that lists the vendors, you can plan your attack! The most important thing---if you see something you want, buy it then. Chances are --if you can find the vendor again, it will be gone. Take a big tote to carry all your treasures home in!!!

nstitches4u 02-15-2012 04:41 PM

I have never been to the Houston Quilt Festival, but it sounds like a good thing to plan a vacation around. Not this year though. I think I have convinced my hubby that I "need" to go to Paducah this spring. I don't think I can convince him to go to 2 shows that far from home. Accu-Quilt is having a retreat this year. I asked DH if we could go. He asked where it was being held. I told him Australia. So much for that idea! LOL

JamieQ 02-15-2012 06:28 PM

As a Houstonian, I can say without exaggeration that the Quilt Festival here is the biggest, most amazing quilting event anywhere. You can buy anything from special shoes to jewelry to antiques to lace, beads, machines, tools, oh my--- one booth sells over 1000 different scissors, tweezers, and other assorted metal thingies!

Take classes if you can-- everybody who is anybody in quilting, doll and toy making, wearable art, dying, and anything you can do with fabrics and thread teaches at Houston. Get autographs!!

Stay in the suburbs and take the Meteo shuttle bus downtown-/ hotels are cheaper and neighborhoods are safe. Room with friends and make it a slumber party. Rent a car (cheap) to get to restaurants in the 'burbs (stay off our freeways. They're dreadful!) Eat Tex-Mex! We also have amazing seafood, Chinese, Indian, and Cajun cuisine. (Which is why we are America's fattest city 5 years in a row!) Wear thin-ish clothes that other areas save for spring or summer and bring a sweater-- October and November are usually warm (often rainy) but every building runs their AC full blast and you'll get cold.

DO come. The show is amazing and Houston can be a lot of fun.

ewecansew 02-15-2012 10:37 PM

I agree with JamieQ. I went last year, for the first time. Because I have a store, I have been to spring market and was overwhelmed. Festival was everything that I expected and more. Because I was with a group that booked more than a year in advance, I stayed at the Hilton, which is actually attached to the convention center. Oops, I forgot to get autographs. Many of the authors and designers are right there in the booths. They are great to visit with and if you know a little bit about their product, they are more than willing to discuss it with you. It was an amazing experience!!!!