Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Show Scrap Bags (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-show-scrap-bags-t248205.html)

copycat 06-10-2014 03:24 AM

Quilt Show Scrap Bags

Has anyone filled a Zip-Lock bag with scraps while attending a quilt show?

The past 2 quilt shows I have attended, I have found a large container filled to the brim with quilting fabric scraps in all sizes. I was given a gallon Zip-lock bag and was told I could fill it up for a $1.00. The bag must stay zipped after it is filled. My first thought was that I have my own scrap collection and I certainly don't need more scraps......or do I? What harm could it do to just look? I was told this was a guild fundraiser.

First, I saw my favorite color fabric peeking out at me at the top of the scrap pile. I tugged at it and discovered it was a 2.5" strip. Next, I saw Christmas fabric that I love. Oh look, there is Halloween fabric too. Wow..I see all kinds of plaids..and even flannel polka dot scraps. I squeezed, tucked, and refolded fabric until I filled my bag to near bursting. As I was paying the $1.00, my zipper popped open and fabric sprang out! I was in luck as the lady could not stop laughing as she took my money.

I like having the many varied scraps to make small 5 x 7 or 8 x 10 quilts. Our guild attaches these quilts to stuffed animals. We give the small animals with quilts to first responders to have in their vehicles to hand to children in stressful situations. The scraps are also very useful in I Spy quilts where you fussy cut a certain pattern for the center of a 9 patch.

I wanted to share with you all the fun that can be found exploring other quilters scraps! I hope you find a scrap tub at your next quilt show and that you zip-lock bag stays closed until after you pay. :)

ManiacQuilter2 06-10-2014 03:30 AM

I just don't attend quilt shows anymore having mobility problems. Our church group just got a huge donation from a major fabric manufacturer of their end strips.

ckcowl 06-10-2014 03:39 AM

One of our little local quilt shops have done this for years, they have a basket full of scraps from cutting kits and putting together shop displays and from classes, you fill a ziploc. Before I had much of a stash I always took advantage of this. I often wonder why more shops don't do this.

Tartan 06-10-2014 03:45 AM

I once bought a $10 scrap bag from a LQS because it had a scrap of fabric I was looking for to complete a quilt block. When I got it home it not only had a piece big enough to complete my block but the pieces already cut for a twin size quilt top. Someone else's scraps are always more fun to play with than your own.:D

ILoveToQuilt 06-10-2014 03:59 AM

What a great idea! I am heading out to a guild Board meeting this morning and will bring this idea up to them as another fundraiser at the guild show. Thanks for posting!

QuiltnNan 06-10-2014 04:43 AM

i got two bags at the amherst ny quilt show a couple of months ago. but they were only quart sized... still a great value to me as i can use them in my dear jane blocks... a great way to get different fabrics for it. i mentioned it to our local quilt guild and we are going to do the same at our show this fall.

copycat 06-10-2014 09:03 AM

Yes, it is fun to play with scraps other than your own. Congrats on your treasure you found in your scrap bag of already cut pieces for a twin quilt top....well worth the $10.

copycat 06-10-2014 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt (Post 6752560)
What a great idea! I am heading out to a guild Board meeting this morning and will bring this idea up to them as another fundraiser at the guild show. Thanks for posting!

Your welcome! It would also be a fun guild meeting program to bring scraps and pile on a table or in a tub. Members can draw numbers and go up and fill a bag.

Hulalulu 06-10-2014 11:02 AM

Talked to a lady who visited the LQS where I work -- their guild had "scrap bag auctions" -- members would bring in their donations in bags, and each bag would be auctioned off to the highest bidder among the members. Raised money for the guild, and everyone had a new group of scraps!

Pam B 06-10-2014 12:01 PM

Sounds like fun and a really great idea!