Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Shows and expos Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-shows-expos-question-t141346.html)

Vicki W 07-30-2011 08:02 AM

There is a Quilt show coming near me, and there are loads of classes. I have never gone to one, I am tempted to try to do everything, (three day show) but figure this might be impossible and actually make me enjoy the event less.

For those of you who have gone to these events, what do you normally do and what (how many classes would you recommend?) The class list was just released yesterday. How soon should I sign up?

calla 07-30-2011 08:06 AM

I don't take any classed anymore. Time does not permit you to finish a project, in addition, it was poor lighting, and sewing on a machine your not familar with. calla

Vicki W 07-30-2011 08:07 AM

This one has classes that are BYOM (bring your own machine) and a machine valet, I am excited because it is just about 15 minutes from home.

bluteddi 07-30-2011 08:10 AM

ohhh machine valet/??? thats interesting.. I've never done classes either...

amma 07-30-2011 08:12 AM

Trying to take all of the classes may be overwhelming, maybe pick a class each day and a demonstration? Some are hours, others much shorter.

AND there usually are many demos set up throughout the Expo so you won't be lacking for learning there too :D:D:D

Vicki W 07-30-2011 08:13 AM

Yes, I am expecting it to work just like a coat or car valet. They watch it and give me a ticket, I use ticket to pick it up and drop it back off between classes.

KR 07-30-2011 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Trying to take all of the classes may be overwhelming, maybe pick a class each day and a demonstration? Some are hours, others much shorter.

AND there usually are many demos set up throughout the Expo so you won't be lacking for learning there too :D:D:D

Ditto. Never stop learning!
Machine valet? Wow, that's cool!!

Is the show in Sept at the Cobb County Civic Center? I just picked up an info card on it yesterday at a LQS. Their opportunity quilt is a gorgeous "Dear Hannah." If we lived closer I'd go just to see that one!

Vicki W 07-30-2011 08:50 AM

Georgia Quilt Show Class Registration is now open!
Duluth, GA – October 20, 21 & 22, 2011 at the Gwinnett Center in Duluth, GA, this is the one I am planning to attend.

Cherylsea 07-30-2011 09:21 AM

Pare it down to just a couple of classes per day. In most cases there is a ton of shopping opportunity (which you might want to do first!!) and a lot of demo and even hands on things to do and see. Leave yourself time to eat and enjoy!

KarenK 07-30-2011 10:08 AM

I've been to several large shows and discovered I need to plan ahead. The first thing I do is peruse the catalog and learn about everything that is going to be happening at that particular show - classes, demos, lectures, quilt displays, special exhibits, vendors, how the classes are priced, etc.

Then I take 1 sheet of paper for each day I plan on attending, go through the class list and write down which classes (including times) I'm very interested in taking. On the list for each day, I also write down other activities I want to do - demos, lectures, lunch etc. Next I whittle the lists down to a reasonable (for me) schedule and budget. Some classes have additional supply fees. I leave a chunk of time to view the quilt displays and shop the vendors on one or more days.

Also, I create a shopping list containing items needed for UFO's, current and future projects.

Bottom line - plan, allow serendipity and ENJOY!