Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Sizes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-sizes-t256618.html)

SoftBlockLady 11-11-2014 04:53 AM

Quilt Sizes

I'm new to this, but why are the quilt patterns out there so small?. Most won't fit a single bed. It's a good thing I found out my niche in this hobby is pulling them apart, resizing, determining the new fabric yardage and what sizes to cut the pieces. What is the point of making these things if you can't use them.

ManiacQuilter2 11-11-2014 05:00 AM

I find that with the books and patterns I buy, I find the size that I need. If you have a computer, go buy the quilting program Electric Quilt. Then you can resize any pattern to fit your twin bed. I am assuming that is what you refer to as a single bed. The program can also give you an estimate of the fabric length you will need to purchase. Not sure if the program give metric measurements.

GrammieJan 11-11-2014 05:04 AM

"Most"? I find that most give dimensions and we need to judge by our size requirements before we start cutting. I hope you can have better luck in future.

SoftBlockLady 11-11-2014 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by GrammieJan (Post 6964418)
"Most"? I find that most give dimensions and we need to judge by our size requirements before we start cutting. I hope you can have better luck in future.

Of course they give dimensions but it's no fun when there is only one pattern in a pile of 25 patterns that is the size you need and you don't like it to boot.

Julienm1 11-11-2014 05:25 AM

If I like the pattern, I just make more blocks to make the size I need. Yes it means I buy extra fab but that's how I had to my scrapy stash pile!

PaperPrincess 11-11-2014 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 (Post 6964440)
If I like the pattern, I just make more blocks to make the size I need. Yes it means I buy extra fab but that's how I had to my scrapy stash pile!

I agree. I use patterns as a starting point, often making the quilt larger or smaller by making more or fewer blocks and/or adding or removing sashing & borders. I think that's what makes the quilt "yours"!
When changing the number of blocks, I often look at the pattern and determine the number they used across & down, then keep the same even/odd scale. For example, if they used an even number of blocks across, my rendition will also use an even number. EQ7 helps to visualize your new layout, but you can also print or Xerox the picture of the quilt, cut it into blocks & just rearrange to see what the new configuration will be.

Barb in Louisiana 11-11-2014 05:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My friend, who quilts all the time and has made over 300 quilts, loves the lap quilts....size 50'ish to 60'ish inches. I'm still working on bed quilts for my kids and grandkids, so I prefer the larger ones. It is very important to realize how big the finished quilt will be when you are buying a pattern. If you are wanting to make a king size and the size is 60 x 78, at the most you will have a short twin. This is a chart I made up for myself because I wasn't sure how big I wanted to make things. It will at least give you an idea of how to calculate the size for the bed you want to cover.

These numbers were from multiple sets of books and internet verifications.

lfletcher 11-11-2014 05:55 AM

I don't have a problem with the size. I make mostly lap quilts and find that people use them more while watching TV. I like my quilts to be used.

gigi712 11-11-2014 10:19 AM

Very nice, Barb, tks.

notmorecraft 11-11-2014 10:40 AM

A lot of the patterns I use, usually give you the yardage for various sizes and l can choose the size I need. I am currently making MSQC disappearing hourglass and with the borders it measures around 82 inches by 94 inches. Its 6 blocks across and 7 blocks down and 5 inch borders, To increase I could add more blocks or borders. no need to tear pattern apart or resize blocks.