Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Sold for $70,000 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-sold-%2470-000-a-t77268.html)

sidmona 11-19-2010 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Crlyn
:shock: :shock:

I agree.

jrhboxers 11-19-2010 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Cool -- but I can't figure out why it took so many hours and why it was worth so much! Am I just tired and not seeing something???

As mentioned above, a lot of it is covered in hand embroidery and embellishments. The other thing she said was that it was entirely pieced and quilted by hand. There is no machine anything involved in this quilt. So I can understand the price with the work that was done.

Like she said, the original price was a realistic cost of labor and materials. She had not planned on ever selling it. The lady that bought it has been trying to purchase it for almost 10 years. Her family and her and her husband are huge collectors of artworks. Besides, if the purchaser is willing to pay the price, then it is worth that amount to her. But not to anyone else, but to her and that is all that matters.

Great work by the way. A really beautiful piece. I can really see how she would be able to use it as a teaching tool.

karenfae 11-19-2010 06:13 AM

that is really nice that she got paid so well for her quilt. It really is a work of art with all the hand stitching that is in it. Whoever bought it considered it a piece of art like a painting or whatever so paid the appropriate price.

sandpat 11-19-2010 06:14 AM

Wow!! Fantastic work, well worth the $$$..! Good for her!

justwannaquilt 11-19-2010 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by QuilterChick

Imagine, per hour it would be: $2.33. When all that work is truly priceless.

I am sure you meant 23.33 an hour! ;)

Connie Merritt 11-19-2010 06:43 AM

Correct me if I am wrong. Wasn't this quilt started by a Grandmother and finished by the Granddaughter? If so, then is it an "Antique". Along with the outstanding embroidery and the hours it took to have this finished I am estatic she got $70,000. This is a wonderful example of the time and expense along with patience and expertise it takes to complete any quilt. AND it is an award to each quilter and every quilter that their work is valued and worth it no matter the size, cost ease or difficulty. Great Job and I hope you smiled all the way to the bank.

Riversong 11-19-2010 06:46 AM

I agree,C JO!!! The embroidery is wonderful but the finished product makes me dizzy!

Twinnie 11-19-2010 06:54 AM

I'm glad to see traditional women's art/craft be recognized and valued. We tend to undervalue our efforts, the quality of which this board demonstrates constantly. Like any art work, this quilt will appeal to some and not to others, and like other art, should reflect the value one buyer places on it. Most of us do our work out of love and for fun, but if they go on sale, we should make sure all that time and creativity are reflected in the selling price.

CarrieAnne 11-19-2010 06:57 AM

WOW!

aliaslaceygreen 11-19-2010 07:06 AM

Assuming 40 hour weeks, 2 weeks vacation for 4 years, equals 200 weeks equals 8000 hours.

$70,000 divided by 8000 hours is $8.75 an hour.

Or $17,500 a year in salary. If she only worked at the quilt for half time, its still only $17.50 an hour. That is a very small sum per hour for the innovation, expertise, skill and design, not to mention all the materials involved.