Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Sold for $70,000 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-sold-%2470-000-a-t77268.html)

Varigthrd 11-19-2010 06:03 PM

Some of the embroidery looks like "Brazilian" embroidery which is done with rayon thread which has a twist to it. It takes a lot of time just to do small pieces. People across the pond have a different conception of "art/talent than we in the states. I also paint and don't get anywhere near that amount. Prices for objects would be tooooooo great for anyone local to afford.

asmmauer 11-19-2010 06:20 PM

I love crazy quilts I can't imagine all the hours of
embroidery that she put into it

Quilt-Writer 11-19-2010 06:29 PM

A truly amazing piece of art. Hours of work. It's lovely. Congratulations. You earned the money.

madamekelly 11-19-2010 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Maride
The quilt must be huge! All that little detail in the hand embroidery! Absolutely amazing. I am very happy to see a quilter that values her time and don't sell until the price is right. It is hard to do when you are trying to sell for necessity. I don't think I would sell any of mine if it wasn't because I need to. I enjoy the process and always try to work on things I like and when I am done is hard to part with, so I can understand why she took to long to make up her mind.

Your guess of size is off. It is 2 meters (a meter is less than a yard.) It is approx. 5' x 5'. If you use some of her links, you can see she has done whole scenes in miniature on it! I am impressed! It gives me something to aspire to.

Mornigstar 11-19-2010 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly

The quilt must be huge! All that little detail in the hand embroidery! Absolutely amazing. I am very happy to see a quilter that values her time and don't sell until the price is right. It is hard to do when you are trying to sell for necessity. I don't think I would sell any of mine if it wasn't because I need to. I enjoy the process and always try to work on things I like and when I am done is hard to part with, so I can understand why she took to long to make up her mind.

Your guess of size is off. It is 2 meters (a meter is less than a yard.) It is approx. 5' x 5'. If you use some of her links, you can see she has done whole scenes in miniature on it! I am impressed! It gives me something to aspire to.

You have measurements wrong .
A yard is 36 in but a meter is 39. + inches -almost 40 "
Beauty is in the eye of beholder !!!!!

Berta48 11-19-2010 07:22 PM

That is so awesome.Man I could buy a long arm LOL

madamekelly 11-19-2010 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mornigstar

Originally Posted by madamekelly

You have measurements wrong .
A yard is 36 in but a meter is 39. + inches -almost 40 "
Beauty is in the eye of beholder !!!!!

Thank you for the correction. I am wrong more than I am right. LMBO

penski 11-19-2010 08:12 PM

well i am impressed !

Deecee 11-19-2010 09:47 PM

Way to go Robyne.

I remember seeing some of your handcrafts about 25 or so years ago at a few local festivals - way back when!

Good to see you receive a "nice" financial return after years of polishing your craft.

Margie 11-19-2010 11:02 PM

I love crazy quilts. To me, they are truly works of art. The only way I can describe it is the same as looking at Oriental rugs....the workmanship, colors and patterns are fabulous! The same with crazy quilts, the textures, colors, artwork, stitches just fascinate me. What a wonderful job!