Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Sticks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-sticks-t278176.html)

ontheriver 04-28-2016 06:08 PM

Quilt Sticks

Was thinking about buying a set of quilt sticks, wondered if those who have them like them or not and why. Also I read they are wood not acrylic, so do they get nicked easily by your cutter? Thanks for any input.

lynnie 04-28-2016 06:10 PM

never heard of them. can you explain what they are and how they are used. thanks.

ontheriver 04-28-2016 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7535971)
never heard of them. can you explain what they are and how they are used. thanks.

They are sticks made for cutting strips. Come in all different sizes, 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2 etc. there are no ruler markings on them, line up with straight edge of fabric and cut strip using size you want. Supposed to be non skid. I have been having a lot of trouble with my eyes due to thyroid issues and some days I can barely see the ruler markings and I thought these may help me get more accurate cuts.

LavenderBlue 04-28-2016 06:21 PM

ontheriver, on a side note.........I have low thyroid but have never heard of eye problems included in thyroid issues. Can you please explain or point me to a link, etc. Thanks

dunster 04-28-2016 06:31 PM

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your eyes. I wonder if you've tried the June Taylor strip cut rulers? These might work even better than the quilt sticks, since you can make multiple strips after positioning the ruler only once.

ontheriver 04-28-2016 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by LavenderBlue (Post 7535978)
ontheriver, on a side note.........I have low thyroid but have never heard of eye problems included in thyroid issues. Can you please explain or point me to a link, etc. Thanks

I had hyper, or Graves' disease which does affect you eyes in some cases or in mine a lot. I am now low, after having radioactive iodine a couple months ago, finally, but the eye problems will probably never go away. Constant watering, often blurred vision just to name a couple.

ontheriver 04-28-2016 06:40 PM

I have a shape cut ruler but could never get the hang of it.

Sephie 04-28-2016 07:32 PM

I just bought the Creative Grids Stripology ruler and while it is a bit more expensive than the Shape Cut, I LOVE the Stripology. It's thick (grippy) plastic that is semi-flexible so it's not the hard plastic like normal rulers, but it has the slots so you just fit your rotary blade into the groove and off you go. My fabric hasn't slipped at all and I haven't had an mis-cuts. I've never cut strips so quickly! You do need to accurately fold your fabric twice (cutting 4 layers at once) to make it all fit under the dimensions of the ruler, but I haven't found this to be an issue for me yet. Highly recommend for accurate strips without spending a ton on a machine like the GO!

Bree123 04-28-2016 08:15 PM

With Quilt Sticks, you can only cut one strip at a time. For that reason, I like the Shape Cut rulers better. Line it up once, get a bunch of straight cuts off of it. If you need an additional visual cue, you could color a dot/circle over or around each number with either a colored Sharpie or nail polish.

That said, I tried the Quilt Sticks once at a class. They work perfectly fine as long as you line them up properly. I just find it easier to work with the ShapeCut because cutting from right to left all at once generally results in more accurate cuts & I am probably the worst cutter in the entire world (seriously! I was in remedial cutting classes in Kindergarten & after that they gave up on me).

DOTTYMO 04-28-2016 09:42 PM

I have a set. They are narrow only 1" or 11/2" which means you only have a small piece of ruler to put your fingers on. Would a normal wide ruler with a tape at correct location be easier.? I am always worried of cutting my fingers.