Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt stores in Denver! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-stores-denver-t26164.html)

Teacher 09-28-2009 05:36 AM

I just wanted to thank you guys who gave me info about the stores in Denver. We had a great time at the Great American Quilt Store and tried to buy out the store. We then also made to Harriet's Treadle Arts which was also fantastic. I have enough to keep me going for a while- perhaps! The Denver trip was notable also as I got badly mugged in a car park one afternoon by a woman with a gun and spent the next three weeks in the hospital. My Mom & Dad flew out from Boston to be with me and my husband & I have only just been able to return to his job here in the UK. I will not be returning to school this semester so I hope to do some sewing when I am able. Despite all that I thought that Denver was a really great place with some very friendly people, and Colorado was just awesome! I am entertaining myself reading all the posts!

azdesertrat 09-28-2009 06:38 AM

I am so sorry that happened to you! I do hope you are doing better,Glad you got to visit some places.take care

Prism99 09-28-2009 06:37 PM

Oh my gosh! I cannot imagine getting mugged! I do hope you are completely recovered.

I took a memorable class from Harriet Hargrave years ago and would love to have the opportunity to visit her store some day.

Jim's Gem 09-28-2009 08:08 PM

Oh My!! I am so sorry that you had such a horrible experience in our Country!! This not a regular occurance!! I used to live in the Denver area, about 20 years ago. I did have my car broken into and the stereo stolen from it. Of course this happened in the winter and they broke the window to get in and destroyed the heater taking out the stereo. I had to drive it for 2 days with my 4 children (11 mos to 7 1/2 yrs) with it snowing into the car!

I have been to Harrietts Treadle Arts a couple of times, most recently in July. I really wanted to get to the Great American Quilt Factory but I ran out of time.

I hope you enjoy some time sewing, I am so sorry the circumstances of your visit thrust this upon you!!!

Quiltgranny 09-28-2009 08:18 PM

I am so sorry to hear of your awful experience while visiting Denver. What an unfortunate thing to happen to you. We moved away from there back in 87 and never regretted it (and I was a native). At least you did have a good time at those great quilt shops. My prayers are with you. Take care.

Teacher 09-29-2009 05:13 AM

Thank you! Im getting better every day and although Im here in the UK and not back home in the US, its great to be back amongst all my stuff and my English friends who are wonderful. My Mom and Dad come next week to stay and she is bringing more material I hope!! I bought a fantastic pattern in the Great American Quilt store so Im thinking about that. I'm trying the Baltimore quilt too- but very slowly!

Quiltgranny 09-29-2009 06:30 AM

Sounds like you're keeping busy with your quilting, which I think, is very therapeutic, good for you! I've only done a wee little bit of applique to date, so the Baltimore Album quilt is only something I aspire to do - at this point anyway. Keep us posted on your progress, we love to see pictures!! :) What is the other pattern you bought?

Happy quilting,

Joan 09-29-2009 07:13 AM

I do hope that you won't judge the US by your experience in Denver. That is absolutely horrible and I am so sorry. All of us here don't carry around guns and the like in this country. We do feel safe living in our towns and cities despite incidents like this and the news that make it sound like violence is happening all of the time.

I am hoping that you heal quickly. You don't want to miss too much school. It's too hard to get back when you take breaks wanted or like this one unwanted.

BTW,my daughter lives in Denver and you have given me another worry.....She hasn't had any problems there and I hope it stays that way!

joeyoz 09-29-2009 08:05 AM

I am so sorry you had to experience the nasty side of people. I hope you won't judge the rest of us her in the US by that horrible person.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
hope your recovery is fast for body and soul. Have fun quilting and I'm glad the board is here for some good mind therapy. :D :D :D

wvdek 09-29-2009 09:00 AM

Teacher,
I am so sorrry to hear of your unpleasant experience in my hometown. I know first hand how it feels to be mugged and to have a gun held on you. I never ended up in the hospital, but because of what happened had difficulty with a physical problem for years.

Time does heal and I pray that the women was caught and prosecuted. Keep after the police dept. if she has not been caught. They truley are bogged down and short of help. This I know too as my DH was a Denver cop for 29 years.

However, you informed me about a new quilt shop there. I knew of Harriets and never went when we lived there because I was not into quilting then. However, I will google the other one.
Please take the time to recover that you need and if necessary, get professional help to help the healing.

Quilting will be your help mate in this, too. Friends and family a necessary part.
God bless and hugs and prayers to you.