Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is it a quilt?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-t158444.html)

Sadiemae 10-06-2011 11:50 AM

Unless it is entered into a contest with strict rules, does it matter???

happymrs 10-06-2011 11:53 AM

I had a friend of my husband's, wife come to visit one day. Knowing I quilt, I was showing her some of them, & she said, oh, only one big quilt, (bedsize)..? I thought, what? Must it be bed size, in her mind anyway, to qualify as a quilt? I thought that was strange, then again, she doesn't even sew, so go figure, right! Some people just don't get it, do they!

Candace 10-06-2011 12:10 PM

There are those who put a piece of batting in their cathedral windows...so a quilt. Technically, a coverlet is probably the correct word for a cathedral windows without batting. But, why would the word coverlet be upseting....it is, what it is...

charismah 10-06-2011 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Unless it is entered into a contest with strict rules, does it matter???

I was thinking this too!

I would have to say I personally consider it a quilt. it takes so much time work and effort.
A cathedral windows quilt is on my to -do list...when it gets completed I will probably use it as a coverlet...LOL! Because I won't want anyone to actually touch it or use it...it will be to precious to get dirty! :lol:

wraez 10-06-2011 12:30 PM

Geesh it really doesn't even matter if there isn't batt ... many warm/hot weather locales don't use batt cuz it makes the 'quilt' too warm.

It is what it is and it doesn't matter what 'they' say. IMHO

DogHouseMom 10-06-2011 12:40 PM

I agree, unless it's an item entered into a contest with defined criteria, the maker gets to call it whatever they wish.

And the heck with the definitions of things .....

I personally want to know more (and see more) about the lanyard you made.

Jennie and Me 10-06-2011 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by KerryK
IMHO ... If it looks like a quilt, and warms like a quilt, then it's a quilt!

:thumbup:

Willa 10-06-2011 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
There are those who put a piece of batting in their cathedral windows...so a quilt. Technically, a coverlet is probably the correct word for a cathedral windows without batting. But, why would the word coverlet be upseting....it is, what it is...

True. YoYo "quilts" fit into to this also. To me a coverlet is just a way of describing how it's finished. It doesn't mean less time is spent on them or that they're less desirable than a quilt. When I talk to others about my cathedral window I do call it a quilt. Kinda like a Moped, bike, and motercycle...all different but yet people call all of them bikes.

katiebear1 10-06-2011 05:58 PM

I don't care what it is, but it is AMAZING!

cdufur 10-07-2011 04:22 AM

I agree!!

Originally Posted by KerryK
IMHO ... If it looks like a quilt, and warms like a quilt, then it's a quilt!