Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilt therapy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-therapy-t80808.html)

dewie45 12-06-2010 02:27 AM

I have some nerve damage left from chemo some years ago. I have seen some improvement since I started doing more hand sewing.

redvette54 12-06-2010 03:56 AM

Yesterday I had a bad day with my back pain from OA. Had to make myself go out to do some grocery shopping, laundy and getting some Christmas things out. Nothing I tried would relieve the pain. Right before I went to bed I had to do some crafty things in my sewing room to take to work today. By the time I went to bed, my back felt better. Why didn't I go in there yesterday about 10AM. LOL

lillybeck 12-06-2010 05:57 AM

I know how easy it is to fall into depression with so many illnesses. I am on disability and cannot sit or stand or walk for any length of time. Years ago when I was young I used sewing as therapy because when I was creating I was calm. It still works but I let myself get defeated too easily with my back and hands hurting. This board keeps me encouraged. Thanks to al of you. I am working on s few things now with what is left of my stash and hopefully next year I will build some more. I find things at yard sales and thrift stores like curtains or sheets that are great for quilting.

Connie Merritt 12-06-2010 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
I have always called it my mental health therapy....it's also my prayer time. Once I go in my studio, I lose all track of time...it's as if I am in my own world.

This is the same for me. Years and years ago my mother told me that hand work (sewing, crocheting, knitting etc) are the best that women can do for their mental health, my doctor (not so many years aqo) told me the same. In doing this type of "therapy" I know it works.

RuthysRaggs 12-06-2010 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by klgreene
I lost a leg 3 1/2 yrs ago, and have phantom pain, 24 - 7. Almost 2 years ago I feel in the bathroom and shattered my hip, so phantom pain is worse. I have shoulder pain from having a shoulder replacement 2 1/2 yrs. ago, carpal tunnel from typing for years as well as all the crafts I did. And depression because of all this. BUT, when I quilt, I don't think about the pain, it relaxes me. Gives me a reason to get up in the morning. Quite frankly before I got back into quilting, there were many days, I just wanted to end it all. Not anymore. It actually gives me a reason to live. And I thank God all the time that I can do this and so many other things. Oh,and by the way, I'm only 62 so have a lot of good years ahead of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I am so fortunate! Quilt away girl! Quilting is good for so many ailments. It keeps us busy being creative. God Bless you.

Nolee 12-06-2010 06:40 AM

I think all these responses just show that when we do something we truly love, we relax, become more peaceful and are able to drop negative thoughts. After all, who can look at beautiful fabric, feel it under your fingers and NOT respond positively? I believe that quilting, for US, releases an enzyme in our brains that relaxes our soul because we love it so. Joy shows up no matter what else is going on.

The Bible says a merry heart doeth good like a medicine and whether you believe the Bible or not, it sure is a sound statement.

sidmona 12-06-2010 06:49 AM

It sure is for me. I'm so much more relaxed and in a good mood when I quilt; I notice I get very jittery and antsy when I'm not quilting. Maybe that's why my husband lets me quilt as much as I want. LOL

deanna_1 12-06-2010 06:51 AM

I have Gaves Disease of which panic attacks and depression is the side effect. I turned to my sewing machine and it really lifted me up. My doctor is so impressed that sewing is better than taking meds for depression. She would ask her patients, "Do you sew?"

Parrothead 12-06-2010 07:10 AM

Keeping the mind active is a important part of aging. In all crafts you have to measure, count, follow a pattern and do some math. The sense of accomplishment is a plus. So we are not "playing" but doing therapy.

ruthieg 12-06-2010 07:19 AM

I love to quilt. Every part of it, but I find my best therapy is hand quilting. klgreeen I agree with you. The pain is worth it. Nice to meet you.