Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-thread-t195130.html)

Sewflower 07-19-2012 01:51 PM

I use Coats and Clark for hand quilting and Aurifil for machine.

KSellers 07-19-2012 02:36 PM

I was having that problem when I was using the easy to thread needles -- the thread kept shredding because of the needle, so I've gone back the the old fashion needles that are hard to thread for this half blind lady!

woody 07-19-2012 03:07 PM

I love the Mettler, silk finish thread for hand piecing(it's cotton not silk but has a nice smooth finish). It doesn't tangle like the Gutterman thread which is a real PITA. I am very lazy and usually cut my thread around 30"-35" long and I use a long thin needle, which will shred the thread where it goes through the eye if you don't move it every couple of stitches. I hope this helps, I love hand piecing :)

Tartan 07-19-2012 03:27 PM

Are you hand piecing or hand quilting? For hand piecing and sewing , I like the Aurifil 50wt (I do very little by hand now) It is strong but thin and my machine loves it too. For hand quilting, I prefer the Guterman hand quilting thread. I will say that you should not use thread pieces that are too long. I usually don't have my hand sewing thread longer than 18 inches. Any longer than that and I get it twisted and knotted.

Pattylynn 07-20-2012 08:59 AM

Thanks so much for the helpful hints! I think I was doing several things wrong which contributed to the knots and fraying. I will follow all of your advice and look forward to less frustrating quilting time!

Thanks again, I appreciate your advice very much.

Pat625 07-20-2012 09:09 AM

I just bought thread heaven today with one of my Joannes coupons! So glad people have had good luck with it..been going crazy..I too found the Gutrmann thread was ther worst I ever used..Actually the best one I have used is the cheaper Coats and Clark hand quilting thread...

Deborahlees 07-20-2012 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Pat625 (Post 5380117)
I just bought thread heaven today with one of my Joannes coupons! So glad people have had good luck with it..been going crazy..I too found the Gutrmann thread was ther worst I ever used..Actually the best one I have used is the cheaper Coats and Clark hand quilting thread...

You are going to LOVE your thread heaven and wonder how you ever survived without it....just keep it up and away from children and pets and will last a long long time.

Sewnoma 07-20-2012 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5378131)
...you can alway thread a number of needles to have handy-
i know a lady who will thread 20-30 needles (she does not cut the thread- she just strings needle after needle onto her spool-then when she needs a new length of thread she picks up the next needle-pulls it up pulling the length of thread she wants- clips- the rest of the needles stay with the spool--she can sew a long time before having to re-string a new batch of needles.)

This is a great tip! I don't usually hand sew anything on my quilts, but I do hand-sewing for making stuffed animals, etc. and this will save me time & headache. Thanks for posting it!

deneldacoop 07-20-2012 10:51 AM

Get yourself a little cake of bees wax, sold in most sewing stores and run your thread through it. Does a great job of keeping your thread from tangling. This way you can use any thread.
Dena

Holice 07-20-2012 12:02 PM

Use "Tacky Fingers" or Finger Moistioner - the stuff you put on your fingers to count paper or money. I find this helps keep the thread from tangling. You can get it at the office supply store or most places that sell office supplies. Run the thread thru it before sewing. I think it better than bees wax or the Thread Heaven silicone stuff in the little blue box.