Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Top Find (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-top-find-t75598.html)

CarrieAnne 11-10-2010 07:09 PM

Its beautiful!

sylviak 11-10-2010 07:14 PM

Someone told me to lay a quilt out on an old sheet, fold it over and put in a bathtub with mild detergent and soak briefly. Then let the water out and add rinse water, several times. Then roll up to gently squeeze the water out. Spread flat to dry. Hope this helps.

It has also occurred to me that you don't know if the fabric has been washed...and the blue could run. I would check an edge before doing anything. It doesn't appear to have stains, so going ahead and quilting it without washing is also an option.

Tink's Mom 11-10-2010 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by sylviak
Someone told me to lay a quilt out on an old sheet, fold it over and put in a bathtub with mild detergent and soak briefly. Then let the water out and add rinse water, several times. Then roll up to gently squeeze the water out. Spread flat to dry. Hope this helps.

It has also occurred to me that you don't know if the fabric has been washed...and the blue could run. I would check an edge before doing anything. It doesn't appear to have stains, so going ahead and quilting it without washing is also an option.

Thanks, the blue was another worry, but I couldn't leave it there...it needed a good home! I'll use a color catcher when I do wash.

littlehud 11-10-2010 09:13 PM

What a find. Maybe a gentle hand washing.

Pickles 11-10-2010 09:38 PM

A fantastic find so glad you saved this wonderful top :thumbup:

Rettie V. Grama 11-11-2010 05:34 AM

Or spray it with 'Fabriz. If you wash while there are raw seams, in my opinion you will ruin it as seams will ravel. The ravelings will twist around each other making it impossible to do anything and what if the pieces shrink. Quilt it first. What do they say: "Safety First"

quiltsillysandi 11-11-2010 05:35 AM

WOW.....What a treasure....!

sylviak 11-11-2010 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom

Originally Posted by sylviak

Thanks, the blue was another worry, but I couldn't leave it there...it needed a good home! I'll use a color catcher when I do wash.

The quilt in my avatar is an antique quilt that I quilted for a lady. It was in great shape, only a few small stains and I quilted it without washing. She had another that was badly stained that we talked about, and she decided not to have it quilted because of the expense and the fact that the stains might not come out. The best thing I've found to take the stains out of old quilt tops is oxyclean. You really got a nice buy!