Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Top Repair (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-top-repair-t200083.html)

Shana 09-10-2012 06:11 AM

Quilt Top Repair

1 Attachment(s)
My first machine applique quilt top has been damaged and I don't know how to fix it! This quilt top was folded and left on my sewing table, and then an animal, probably a cat being chased by a dog, knocked a water bottle over on top of it. This happened sometime last year, as I have been unable to do any quilting projects or even touch my sewing room in over a year(long story). I have been able to remove the majority of the mildew stains, but when I washed the top a CHUNK just disappeared from one of the edges! it's about 2x3. It almost looks cut! It is a decent quality white on white, I'm just baffled!

At this point taking out the block and redoing it isn't an option :) I think I have some of this fabric left, do I just applique a piece over the hole? There is an outside border left to be put on, but that will only account for about 1/2 inch of the area.

Thanks! Shana

wolph33 09-10-2012 06:23 AM

If the quilt is for you and you have the same back ground fabric I would just patch it .

Shana 09-10-2012 06:48 AM

lol it's for me now :)

Neesie 09-10-2012 07:03 AM

Rather than a patch, I would take it loose, at the sashings, and add an entire strip to that side of the block. Then reattach the sashings. I think a strip would be more stable and pleasing to the eye, than a patch.

stormwater 09-10-2012 07:03 AM

As you say it's 'now for you', so if you don't feel like taking out the whole block and transfer the applique, I would remove and replace a vertical strip of fabric where the tear is.

Toni C 09-10-2012 07:34 AM

How about a evergreen tree half shape to cover hole and 'fall' off the edge? Kind of like Sue has her back turned to the tree

QuiltnNan 09-10-2012 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 5504139)
Rather than a patch, I would take it loose, at the sashings, and add an entire strip to that side of the block. Then reattach the sashings. I think a strip would be more stable and pleasing to the eye, than a patch.

this was my first thought. another thought is to put a tree or something else appliqued over that spot... depends on the look of the rest of the blocks

nativetexan 09-10-2012 07:58 AM

yes, add an entire strip to replace that side, or a triangle at least. even if you don't have the exact fabric, it will be fine. then finish it before something else befalls the quilt. good luck.

Grandma58 09-10-2012 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 5504139)

Great idea and I would do the same thing even if the fabric were slightly different.

Shana 09-10-2012 09:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ohh...I like the strip idea! there is a partial view of the top :)[ATTACH=CONFIG]361740[/ATTACH]