Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilt used as moving blanket (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-used-moving-blanket-t304981.html)

Irishrose2 05-31-2019 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Grace creates (Post 8260297)
I don't think I'm going to clean for the couple that abused that quilt anymore. They just seem disrespectful in general. They showed me disrespect in ways when I was there and also disrespected the quilt. Personally, I want the quilts I make to be used as enjoyment. A quilt used as a picnic quilt would make me feel appreciated. A quilt put under a metal bed to help it slide through the house, while moving the bed is not showing appreciation of a quilt. It's not a moving blanket and could easily rip. Not that it would of mattered to this couple as it was just being kept on top of boxes in the garage. Plenty of people out in the world that don't itch me the wrong way, so I'll just keep my cleaning business for those people.

Good for you. My friend calls that, "Voting with your dollars."

quiltingcandy 05-31-2019 11:04 PM

A friend of mine was very insulted when her grandson and wife let their dog sit with them on the quilt she made them. I too was rather horrified when a friend told me she loved to cuddle with her dog and have the quilt I made wrapped around them. But then I read the book," That Dorky Homemade Look" and enjoyment it the name of the game. I don't make heirloom quilts. I do spend a lot of money on them, but I want them used, and I want them worn out so I cI can make them more knowing they are enjoyed. If the end of out on the wood pile then they obviously don't need another one, but if they end up in the dog's bed not such tragedy. We had a dog that fell in love with a Christmas rug I had made. It was a hooked rug so it was shaggy and he loved it. We finally decided it was best to let him have it. He slept with it until the day he passed away. And when I washed it, he would go around the house looking for it.

themadpatter 06-01-2019 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 8260368)
A friend of mine was very insulted when her grandson and wife let their dog sit with them on the quilt she made them. I too was rather horrified when a friend told me she loved to cuddle with her dog and have the quilt I made wrapped around them. But then I read the book," That Dorky Homemade Look" and enjoyment it the name of the game. I don't make heirloom quilts. I do spend a lot of money on them, but I want them used, and I want them worn out so I cI can make them more knowing they are enjoyed. If the end of out on the wood pile then they obviously don't need another one, but if they end up in the dog's bed not such tragedy. We had a dog that fell in love with a Christmas rug I had made. It was a hooked rug so it was shaggy and he loved it. We finally decided it was best to let him have it. He slept with it until the day he passed away. And when I washed it, he would go around the house looking for it.

We always say we want them used with live, and he *clearly* loved that rug, right? :)

peaceandjoy 06-01-2019 03:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A quilt made for my daughter a few years ago. She posted this picture last night; they were at "Movie in the Park" night. It's been used and abused, and I love it.

bkay 06-01-2019 04:56 AM

I love the stories of how the quilts were used and abused. I think it comes down to: some people love them and cherish them and some people don't. Maybe those "don't" people have no conception of what goes into making quilts.

I remember speaking with a lady in a fabric store. She told me of finding the quilts she had lovingly made in her DIL's garage sale.

bkay

Darcyshannon 06-01-2019 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 8260368)

I think it is adorable that my little dog seems to prefer my quilts. This is a sweet story. Maybe I need to make him a rug.

Darcyshannon 06-01-2019 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy (Post 8260408)
A quilt made for my daughter a few years ago. She posted this picture last night; they were at "Movie in the Park" night. It's been used and abused, and I love it.

Ah not really, it is being loved and used. This is the perfect quilt to use outdoors. I think that is different than using one as a tarp or a moving blanket underneath furniture.

That smile says it all. This quilt is being used perfectly. LOL. I know that you wouldn’t want it any other way.

Kelsie 06-01-2019 09:30 PM

Ahhhh, tim you are obviously more experienced than I am. I have finished 1 pillow, 1 throw, one lap rug, and 2 throw sized flimsies, but we can be slow together.

lindsayfarm 06-03-2019 10:37 AM

I made a baby quilt for a neighbor years ago, after the child reached about 6 the quilt was laying on top of the trash. My daughter saw it and grabbed it because she knew I had made it. Some people don't value the time, love and money that goes into making a quilt.

k_jupiter 06-03-2019 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Kelsie (Post 8260701)
Ahhhh, tim you are obviously more experienced than I am. I have finished 1 pillow, 1 throw, one lap rug, and 2 throw sized flimsies, but we can be slow together.

Kelsie,
I have been around here for awhile. I have taken a couple years off from quilting but am now starting to look at these projects and want them done. If you look at my photo, it is one of the first quilt tops I finished in 2007. Not quilted yet but soon. I have to get the long arm tuned up, the work flow remembered, and some of these quilts Done. It's good to see Patrice has kept this place afloat. BTW... Think Big. Nothing like finisheing a queen size quilt. Just amazing sense of accomplishment. tim