Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   a quilt without batting?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-without-batting-t1555.html)

Pegggy 07-27-2007 05:30 AM

Has any body made a quilt without batting? Its so warm at night that we tend to just sleep with a sheet over us and I thought maybe I'd make a quilt with just a sheet and the top of a quilt and wondered if there was anything I needed to know, It sounds good but I've never seen one before.

danna738 07-27-2007 05:51 AM

They keep telling us there are no rules. You can make whatever is pleasing to you. I am sure you will get many other opinions, but I say go for it!

vicki reno 07-27-2007 06:20 AM

I have an antique quilt top that was trimmed with jumbo rickrac--just the top used asa coverlet in hot weather. I bought it in Beaufort, NC years ago. The lady selling it in the shop had made it herself and that was the very reason it had no batting! Too hot. Go for it, whatever floats your boat! :lol:

Leslee 07-27-2007 06:42 AM

Sure, you can make a quilt with no batting. I've an old Grandmother's Flowergarden quilt made in Virginia in the 1930's, made with no batting and originally all hand-tied. If you change your mind and decide you want some sort of light batt, a very thin plain flannel would also give the quilt a bit of weight and show your quilting stitches more, if you plan on quilting it.

quiltfairy 07-27-2007 12:42 PM

I have not one, but TWO old quilts (1920's-30's?) made with only two layers. Both are made with embroidered blocks, one with state flowers (48, of course). I believe these were sometimes used as bedspreads, but summer quilts, as well.

BarbC 07-27-2007 03:49 PM

I haven't made a batting-less quilt ... yet. But I plan to. I have a friend who makes summerweight quilts without batting all the time.

Barb C

Pegggy 07-27-2007 05:13 PM

Thanks for the help and I had planned on quilting it by hand and I'm really curious what it will look like, I just can't quite picture that part, but it will sure give me something to do, Thanks again everybody

Cathe 07-27-2007 07:02 PM

I don't think I would do the hand quilting. Because there is no batting, there will be no texture to the quilting, and it seems like a waste of time!

I am working on a quilt now that has flannel "batting", and it has very little loft. I will machine quilt it.

julie 07-27-2007 07:22 PM

I made a quilt for my grandson with no batting. His mom says it works great, in fact she thinks it may still be too heavy, but he refuses to sleep without it :D :D ! As for the hand quilting, if you enjoy doing it, go ahead. It's your quilt. It's not a waste of time if you love doing something. :)

live2teach 07-27-2007 08:30 PM

Sure you can make a quilt without batting. My aunt and grandma made me one out of material for the top and sheet for the back...they tied it instead of quilting it. I love it. It is one of my favorite quilts. I say Go for it too!