Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   QUILT without batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-without-batting-t320339.html)

tranum 03-26-2023 04:39 AM

I’ve made quilts with a flannel sheet inside for batting.
I’ve also used fleece as backing with no batting. Fleece had a diagonal print so I followed the lines to to quilt it.
Both worked out ok.

Karamarie 03-26-2023 07:21 AM

I have used flannel inside quilts and really like that. Also made quilts with no batting but with a fleece backing. I like them both ways.

Lady Diana 03-27-2023 04:56 AM

For me, flannel works best....BE SURE TO SERGE OR PINK EDGES AND WASH BEFORE USING IN YOUR QUILT SANDWICH.

petthefabric 03-27-2023 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 (Post 8594321)
Just fyi for the person who recommended polyester batting. I'm doing some longarm work for a friend who supplied polyester batting - and it's a bitch and a half to work with. So puffy. I'm getting pleats all over the place and it's hard to baste the edges because they keep turning under the foot. I'm in ducking hell. If you quilt it yourself - might want to try just straight lines - walking foot.

FYI: NO is a complete sentence. When I did LA, I allowed myself to say NO to projects from #$%^.

Zinda 03-30-2023 03:08 AM

I've used flannel for the batting at times. I also made a "queen" size cover my 96 year old mom uses on her twin bed as a bedspread. It's still fairly heavy.

ktbb 03-30-2023 06:08 AM

I've never used a sheet but have used flannel, which turned out really nice - not much texture from the quilting, however.

Blue Bell 04-02-2023 05:26 PM

I just finished making a string quilt and sewed it onto muslin. It is quite heavy so I will be using flannel instead of batting.

livestoquilt1954 05-29-2023 09:20 AM

My appliqué quilt top is so heavy that it will not move through my domestic machine to do free motion or ruler work. Any suggestions? I thought I needed to use a different batting but it is not the problem. I’m thinking I may have to take it to a long armer.

LogCabin82 05-29-2023 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 (Post 8594321)
Just fyi for the person who recommended polyester batting. I'm doing some longarm work for a friend who supplied polyester batting - and it's a bitch and a half to work with. So puffy. I'm getting pleats all over the place and it's hard to baste the edges because they keep turning under the foot. I'm in ducking hell. If you quilt it yourself - might want to try just straight lines - walking foot.

yeah, and my mom used poly for a quilt she is hand quilting (when she was new to quilting) and she’s really having a rough time with it.

cathyvv 05-29-2023 04:27 PM

I will not use polyester batting because it is so difficult to control on a longarm. Might be OK if you're hand quilting or baste the quilt sandwich heavily before quilting.