Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt as You Go Photo Quilt Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-you-go-photo-quilt-question-t21290.html)

Maribeth 06-13-2009 03:40 AM

I was wondering if I could do a quilt as you go without the backing and then do a quick stitch in the ditch to secure the back to the quilt. I have read that when you quilt as you go you hand sew the backing pieces together.

I don't have that kind of time to finish a memorial quilt for a friend. I have spent so much time agonizing other this, I want it to be perfect and I am so new and inexperienced, plus when you print out the fabric photos the fabric is so different from regular fabric. If you need to unsew a row of the stitching, the holes never ever close back up like with regular fabric. So, I have to make the photo smaller, which means adding sashing to the block or reprint it.

Y'all always have such wonderful advice, thanks for the help, Maribeth

kluedesigns 06-13-2009 04:13 AM

in theory i don't see why you can't.

i would be careful about the type of batting you use because i'm assuming the batting would be against the feed dogs when you "quilt as you go" and you don't want to rip up the batting.

i think warm and natural or warm and white would be a good choice since it is a dense fiber that could withstand the teeth.

mcdaniel023 06-13-2009 05:04 AM

My aunt did a lot of quilts this way. Especially after her cancer diagnoses.
She just couldn't handle the bulk of the big quilt for the special quilting she loved to do. I haven't tried it, but am often tempted.

mcdaniel023 06-13-2009 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
My aunt did a lot of quilts this way. Especially after her cancer diagnoses.
She just couldn't handle the bulk of the big quilt for the special quilting she loved to do. I haven't tried it, but am often tempted.

Klue is right, she always used warm and natural.

Moonpi 06-13-2009 05:15 AM

I'm just wondering aloud whether the dissolving interfacing like you use in embroidery would be enough to keep the grips on the feed dogs clear of batting. Another approach could be facing the batting up, like in bobbin work. It may or may not work fpr your purposes.

kluedesigns 06-13-2009 08:25 AM

you could use a tear away stabilizer if the batting starts to get chewed up.

amma 06-13-2009 09:13 AM

Intriguing! :D It sounds like it would work well, I would love to hear more as you are trying this!! I agree with the batting issues, warm and natural would probably be best.

MadQuilter 06-13-2009 09:59 AM

I find "warm and white" even a smidge thinner and easier to handle. Can't you try your proposed method on a small piece to try? It shouldn't take a lot of time but give you peace of mind.

CajunQuilter2 06-13-2009 12:00 PM

Why couldn't she use muslin on the back side of the batting? I am still really new to quilting as well so that is one reason for the question.

kluedesigns 06-13-2009 12:08 PM

i think the reason for not using muslin on the back is because then she'll be right back to the original idea of quilt as you go which she what she's trying to avoid.

she doesn't want to hand stitch any fabric on the back.