Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilted Christmas gift ideas? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilted-christmas-gift-ideas-t20539.html)

boomwooshblahh 05-25-2009 09:43 AM

I'm still fairly new to quilting... I took a class this past spring semester, before that I had done some sewing but had never really quilted before. I've decided I want to try making quilted gifts for Christmas, and now that it's summer I have plenty of time on my hands. However, I'm having trouble deciding what to make. I wish I could actually make a full size quilt for everyone, but I just don't think I'm up for that just yet. I'm also on a fairly cheap budget (I'm a college student). I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for quilted gifts that are fairly simple. I also want to make something that the people I give it to will actually use, not just something that will sit around.

patricej 05-25-2009 09:53 AM

matching/coordinating sets of Placemats, Hot Pads and Table Runners are easy to make and always a hit when you need gifts for friends and family. you don't need acres of space to work on them, either. :wink:

mic-pa 05-25-2009 09:54 AM

You can make totes, or small purses. Tablerunners, placemats, or pot holders. The list is endless. Enjoy. Marge

Butterfli19 05-25-2009 10:02 AM

Pillows, sachets, a stocking filled with candies, coasters, stuffed animals, cosmetic bags, sunglass cases, checkbook covers.

For ideas, try
www.allpeoplequilt.com

MadQuilter 05-25-2009 10:10 AM

X-mas stockings (there's even kits for the beginning quilter)
Small tree skirt.

Izy 05-25-2009 10:38 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I enjoyed making xmas scene cushions (pillows), here's a couple of pictures :D

Shemjo 05-25-2009 10:43 AM

There have been some great pincushion ideas here. Check the tutorials.
Also, bookmarks, and coasters are smaller and easier to finish! :lol:

bearisgray 05-25-2009 10:55 AM

Hot pads.

Make sure they don't let the heat through.

My mom thought she was going to be smart and made some using quilted scraps with the polyester batting. Not a good idea.

Small pillows - I bought 12x16 pillows for everyone and made washable "housewife" pillowcases for the little pillows.

The "housewife" pillowcases are sort of an envelope-type affair.

Boston1954 05-25-2009 11:40 AM

Boom,

Please to into the picture section under the title "For Boomwooshblahh". I posted a picture of a little wall hanging I made. It will not take a whole lot of fabric, as it is fairly small, but it is still impressive.

joannl 05-25-2009 11:56 AM

I am planning on making quilted casserole dish covers. I will make small pockets & small rice pillows to put in the pockets. Heat the rice pillows for a couple of minutes & stick them in the pockets. My DH gets medication in the mail monthly that has to be refrigerated so every month we get several cold packs, I will add those to the package so they can keep their food hot or cold.
Jo