Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilted door banners (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilted-door-banners-t252566.html)

thseabreze 08-27-2014 06:52 AM

quilted door banners

I need some help, inspiration, on making some holiday door banners. I can't find anything on how to make them or how to hang them. I am using embroidery designs. thanks for any help.

calla 08-27-2014 06:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did one with shoe designs. I would not use a W/N batting perhaps no batting at all. And I used a 501 spray that left stains on the background fabric. Perhaps random snowmen?

DJ 08-27-2014 07:09 AM

Do you want to be able to switch them out with the seasons? If so, I might try to make them all the same size and then use velcro across the top and bottom of the banners so that they don't flap when the door is opened and closed. If you put a strip of velcro on the door, though, you would probably want to have something hanging on it all year round. Any patterns you like would be great. Check your local quilt/fabric store for suggested batting. There was one recommended for wall hangings (a little stiffer) at a recent seminar but unfortunately, I can't recall the brand name.

Hmm ... I have a door that would be perfect for this!

ManiacQuilter2 08-27-2014 07:18 AM

I am in the process of making a Christmas one for the inside front door. I will probably hang it with a thread posted here that showed how to hang small quilts with the command hooks.

GrannieAnnie 08-27-2014 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by thseabreze (Post 6862035)
I need some help, inspiration, on making some holiday door banners. I can't find anything on how to make them or how to hang them. I am using embroidery designs. thanks for any help.

Hang like anything else you'd hang on the wall. One way is to make a hem in the top to thread a dowel (or something similar) thru. Then ties a rope or whatever to both ends and hang with a hook or over the top wreath hanger.

2nd put a dowel rod in the top hem and put a hook for each end.

QuiltnNan 08-27-2014 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 6862111)
Hang like anything else you'd hang on the wall. One way is to make a hem in the top to thread a dowel (or something similar) thru. Then ties a rope or whatever to both ends and hang with a hook or over the top wreath hanger.

2nd put a dowel rod in the top hem and put a hook for each end.

for small hangings, i simply use the bamboo skewers in the hem. they work well

Barb in Louisiana 08-27-2014 08:24 AM

I went to Yahoo.com and typed in quilted door hangings images It would seem that just about any block can be a door hanging. I just never knew so many ideas where out there. Oh no! You've just added many new projects to my Bucket list. Have fun!!! I've got to go sew.

Edited to add: Hobby Lobby has wall panel ideas as each season comes around, with matching fabrics, if you are stumped and need some inspiration to get you started. I like the idea of adding the hanging sleeve so you can use one or two over the top door hooks. Dowels are available in most store hardware areas, or cut off an old wood broom handle and paint it.

Froggiey 08-27-2014 10:06 AM

They're were some really cute ones in the picture section yesterday. Really cute.