Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilted pot holders.. HELP! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilted-pot-holders-help-t230739.html)

nanna-up-north 09-21-2013 08:54 AM

quilted pot holders.. HELP!

2 Attachment(s)
I had this great idea.... make pot holders from some up-north fishy fabric. I bought insulbrite and some fabric that looks like an ironing board cover (don't know what it's called). I quilted the layers together and tried several methods to make the pot holders. ... didn't like stitching binding where the thread shows, tried square and rounded corners, put a loop in (upside down on one), and think I figured out that I like the rounded corners with a loop.

So, I threw away my 2 old potholders that really needed to be gotten rid of..... and tried out my new potholders last night. I am so disappointed! I should have thought this through better. Insulbrite has metal needle punched throughout .... metal carries heat. These new potholders are not so great to use. I'm sure now that I should have put some layers of batting in as well.

Now the question..... how many layers of batting do you all use? What's the order that you layer it ?

I'm ready to start all over..... need to get some more of that ironing board cover fabric but I now NEED some new potholders to USE!!

Thanks all.

RedGarnet222 09-21-2013 09:01 AM

I use a layer of insulbrite (with the shinny side towards the hot pot) , and one layer of warm and natural between both the front and back fabric layers. (Inside layers) Then I quilt it all together in a sandwich. That keeps those fingers safe for me!

Does that make sense? Two layers inside, then the front and back fabrics.

KerryK 09-21-2013 09:09 AM

I really can't help; have never made potholders. But yours are really cute!

charsuewilson 09-21-2013 09:27 AM

I always add another layer of batting or two to the potholder, even with the insulbrite. Insulbrite isn't really needed. I've used a bunch of things -- old towels, good areas of worn out mattress pads.

Scissor Queen 09-21-2013 11:31 AM

I never use insulbrite or that ironing board stuff. I use two layers of Quilter's Dream Request weight all cotton batting. I use churn dash blocks that finish at 8 inches and only quilt them in the ditch. They turn out perfect.

CherryPie 09-21-2013 12:29 PM

When I've made potholders, I've used thin batting on either side of the insulbrite, then put my top and bottom on; quilt and bind. Have never had any problems with using them. Good luck. I really like the ones you've already made; sorry they didn't work for you.

toverly 09-21-2013 05:19 PM

When I make potholders, I don't quilt thru the Insulbrite. I quilt, the block with a piece of muslin on the back then sandwich them together with the quilt, insulbrite, and back. I stitch around the edge for securing it all together, then bind the usual way. They wash fine, no slipping inside.

bearisgray 09-22-2013 11:50 AM

Your potholders really looked nice.

For me, the trick is to find something that protects me from the heat - and will still be flexible enough to bend fairly easily.

I've found felted wool sweaters to be an excellent filler, terry towels, table protector stuff (SHRINK that stuff first - it shrunk about 30% when I washed it)- cotton battings.

I also do not use insul-trite or the ironing board stuff. I also avoid anything polyester for the filling.

nanna-up-north 09-22-2013 06:30 PM

Thanks for all the good information. I'm ready to start over and make some more usable ones..... and I agree about the polyester.... won't use that.

DonnaPBradshaw 09-22-2013 06:52 PM

Someone gave me a home made pot holder and I got burned! I threw them away and vowed not to ever make one. After reading these posts I might venture but with caution and make sure I follow the advice given here.