Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilted Purse help please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilted-purse-help-please-t72256.html)

stitchinbee 10-25-2010 12:48 PM

I would like to make a purse with 3 sections on the inside. I want the middle section to have a top zipper. My question is: How do I construct the lining to have a middle section with a zippered top? Thank you for your help in advance. :)

sewcrafty 10-25-2010 01:14 PM

Why don't you make a separate section with the zipper then stitch it in.

stitchinbee 10-25-2010 01:21 PM

That's is what I would like to do. What I am not sure of is do how do that. Do I make the zippered middle section and then sew another side to each side of the zippered section or do I fold the lining in to 3 sections and then attach the zipper to the top of the middle section? Also, where do I leave an opening in the lining in order to turn it? I know I am probably making this more complicated than it has to be, but I just don't know. :)

jljack 10-25-2010 01:22 PM

I agree - Make a pouch, put the zipper in it. Then sew the pouch into the lining. You will have to make the lining in 2 pieces so that you can sew it all the way around from one side, across the bottom, and up the other side. Maybe make it double with interfacing ironed inside to give it structure.

Darlene 10-25-2010 01:23 PM

Go to Google and type in zippered purse section and I bet you will get some kind of answers.

stitchinbee 10-25-2010 01:24 PM

I have googled extensively, with no results that explain the process to include turning the purse while constructing.

MrsSew66 10-25-2010 03:11 PM

Amy Butler has a handbag pattern called "Sweet Harmony" which has a zippered pocket in the middle and pockets. I made one of these and I love it=--have gotten several compliments on the one handle that it has.

deema 10-25-2010 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinbee
I have googled extensively, with no results that explain the process to include turning the purse while constructing.

I don't turn it. You'd be sewing right sides together, and leave it that way. You want your raw edges to be between the lining and outer fabric...and your neatly sewn seams inside the bag.

leatheflea 10-25-2010 04:47 PM

I would make the zipper pouch then layer it with the lining. Use your lining pattern for your pouch just make it a little shorter Just sew the zipper to the two pieces leaving the sides unsewn, layer your front and back of the lining on either side. Sew together as usual the sides and bottom of zippered pouch will be sewn when you sew the lining.

karinda 10-25-2010 07:34 PM

hi
try making a decision on the size of your purse,and how big the bottom part of your purse is to be
cut outer fabric and lining to match. (quilt at this time).baste around edge
fold up bottom,CREASE...fold over top CREASE (looking at what size your purse is to be)
your turn over has determined the bottom part of your purse ...
sandwich zipper between 2 pieces of fabric on either side of your zipper
(you will have fabric..,zipper..fabric )fold over and press.
Trim this to the size of the lower part of your purse now
sandwich between the lower fold of your purse
..PRESS well..cut bias and go round your purse
finish with a button or stud
so your bag whe open will have an open section ,zippered section and an open section
hope this make sense to you be feel free to ask any further questions if you want to try this Cheers