Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilted Tops as Duvet Cover (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilted-tops-duvet-cover-t103118.html)

redbugsullivan 02-25-2011 08:10 PM

Has anyone ever used a pieced top as part of a duvet cover? I'm making a queen sized winter pieced top and wonder if anyone has ever used such a thing as part of a duvet cover. Added warmth and ease of use is key to my creation. Suggestions?

jemma 02-25-2011 08:36 PM

one of our groupe makes duvet covers --1/2 inch seams +overlocked edges -- large pieces-- smaller 2.5 stitch length------be carefull if you have a down quilt as the warmth is the air caught in the down -so a heavy top excludes air--- flannal bottom would be cosy but may shrink at a different rate than the top

redbugsullivan 02-25-2011 08:43 PM

Good to know!! Thanks.

wanderingcreek 02-25-2011 09:24 PM

I have turned a couple of my bargello tops into duvet covers. My ex preferred duvets to quilts but loved my bargello quilt tops so we compromised and I turned some into duvet covers. I didn't make the seam allowances any larger and used 108" wide batik for the backing because the top is mostly batiks and I don't find it too heavy at all. It has been washed many times and have not had a seam come apart yet! I posted a picture of the one that is on my bed right now but I don't know how to post the link to it.

jajudd24 02-26-2011 12:26 AM

Good idea...Thanks I hadnt thought of it...or seen...

quilterella 02-26-2011 02:29 AM

I turned a quilt top into one after someone gave me a duvet as a gift. I used light flannel on the back and a sleeping bag zipper to close. It worked great and now one of my kids have it, and they love it.

redbugsullivan 02-26-2011 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by quilterella
I turned a quilt top into one after someone gave me a duvet as a gift. I used light flannel on the back and a sleeping bag zipper to close. It worked great and now one of my kids have it, and they love it.

So, do you actually back the piecing or do you just leave it as is? I've made at least 3 duvet covers using coordinating sheets.

I was kind of envisioning 3 layers... the pieced top, the backing for that to increase strength since it would be stitched/quilted without batting, and then the bottom fabric of the cover. Is that right?

The fact that these are holding up to washing is wonderful to hear! I can't stand to make things that aren't used or long lasting. Life is too short for that kind of thing. :-)

wanderingcreek 02-27-2011 10:27 PM

I didn't add anything to my top other than the backing but I did stitch all the way around and then used a 1" seam when joining the two pieces. I did double up the bottom of both pieces and then put in buttons and button holes to close it. It has been through the wash many times and have had no problems with any of the seams coming apart.

redbugsullivan 02-28-2011 05:40 AM

Thanks, good to know!