Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilters Dream Request & Hand Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilters-dream-request-hand-quilting-t201513.html)

teddysmom 09-25-2012 01:58 PM

Quilters Dream Request & Hand Quilting

I just finished sandwiching a quilt using QDR. After sandwiching the quilt, I trimmed around the quilt leaving approx 4" of batting and backing. I'm quilting using a lap frame. My problem is I now have batting "fuzz" all over everything and I'm even picking up the batting "fuzz" on my needle which means it's getting tangled up in my thread and it's all over the backing. So when I pull my needle through to the top I have batting "fuzz" tangled up in my thread. Does anyone else have a problem with this? I know it's supposed to be more user friendly for hand quilters but I'm almost ready to go back to the Hobbs 80/20. Does anyone have any answers?

ckcowl 09-25-2012 02:23 PM

what kind of thread,size, and needle are you using?
where did the batting come from?
is it the same batting as from the Dream Batt company? or a knock off from somewhere else?
i've used lots of Dream batts and have never had any problems like you describe. is it a cotton batt? maybe you could try some 'thread heaven' (a thread conditioner) or bees wax to help your thread glide through better. or a smaller needle? chances are the (fuzz) will wash away when the quilt is finished & laundered- does the package say it's good for hand quilting? sorry i don't have more (tips) need to know more about the batting i guess.

117becca 09-25-2012 02:32 PM

I've never had a problem either. They say there's a right and wrong side, but i can never remember how to tell, so don't pay attention. Is your needle sharp/new??? I use YLI glazed cotton thread and Jeanna Kimball needles.

lynnie 09-25-2012 02:38 PM

Had thT problem yrs ago with batr, dont remem er what the out ome wS. I alwYs use beeswa, and dont ha e a pro lem

teddysmom 09-25-2012 02:52 PM

The batting is Quilters Dream Request that is recommended for hand quilters that I purchased from our LQS. I normally use YLI thread but I wanted to quilt this one in red so I'm using Scanfil 100% cotton thread and Roxanne's #9 between needle.

quiltsRfun 09-25-2012 02:59 PM

Is the fuzz coming from the exposed batting at the edges of the quilt? I usually fold the edges over and pin or baste so the excess batting isn't exposed.

teddysmom 09-25-2012 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 5541016)
Is the fuzz coming from the exposed batting at the edges of the quilt? I usually fold the edges over and pin or baste so the excess batting isn't exposed.

I hadn't thought about that. I'm going to try that and see if that helps.

cad_queen_2000 09-26-2012 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 5541016)

I fold the backing over to the front side also, and I baste it down all the way around the quilt. I find it helps to hold it in the hoop better when I am quilting near the edges of the quilt.

teddysmom 09-27-2012 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by cad_queen_2000 (Post 5543719)
I fold the backing over to the front side also, and I baste it down all the way around the quilt. I find it helps to hold it in the hoop better when I am quilting near the edges of the quilt.

I pinned the excess batt and backing but the fuzz is still there. After pinning the batt/backing, I used a clothes brush and got all the fuzzies off the backing. Is there a wrong side/right side to the QD Request batt? I never had this problem with Hobbs 80/20 and never pinned the exposed batt and backing.

117becca 09-27-2012 02:02 PM

As i stated earlier, I have not noticed that problem and I don't pay attention to which side i place up or down. I have 2 cats that like to sit on my quilts while i'm working on them, so I end up washing them after I am finished. There's no fuzz after I wash my quilt. My current quilt that I'm working on has a white backing, so I wouldn't notice any fuzzies.