Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilters Song (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilters-song-t12000.html)

lfw045 10-08-2008 11:34 AM

Play it in the key of G. Submitted by Donna Sawyer.

This year, the South Carolina Quilt Guild, Piecemakers, learned that one of their founding members has been diagnosed with ALS, Lou Gehrig's Disease.

Janet Nelson is a nationally known quilter whose specialty is embellishing. Janet exhibited two pieces in the Road to California Show; several pieces in the Myrtle Beach, S.C., Mancuso Show; she has won Best in Show for her home-town's own quilt guild show; the has won the Creativity Award for Quilters of S.C., and won 1st place in the Bernina University Challenge.

"Janet has been an inspiration to all of us and we wanted to honor her in a special way," explained fellow guild member Donna Sawyer. "Thus the plan began. We decided to have a Janet Nelson Day and invite special people in her life as well as the members of the two quilt guilds that she helped found. Her sisters, her children and even her husband were in on our plot. After a day of shopping for, what else, fabric, Janet went to what she thought was a dinner with her family. A local Mexican restaurant had conspired with us to surprise her and had reserved a back room for the party."

Janet was to be crowned Queen of Quilting. Since Janet is famous for embellishments, everyone was to bring an embellishment to pin on her royal robe. A child's light-up party crown and flashing star scepter completed the elaborate ensemble. Donna also wrote a very entertaining song to honor Janet during the coronation. Set to the tune of Take Me Out to the Ball Game.

Take Me Out to the Quilt Shop.

Take me out to the Quilt Shop.
Take me out to the Mall.
Buy me some Moda and a Stack-N-Whack.
I don't care if I never get back.
I will shop, shop, shop for the new quilt.
If it takes all day, that's a shame.
For it's one, two, three yards and more at the old quilt shop!
After the song, everyone brought their embellishments out and pinned them on Janet's robe and gave her a big hug.
"The song has become somewhat of a tradition now with our guild," explained Donna. "We begin every guild meeting with it. It helps get us settled and called to order. I understand that it will also be used at the Quilters of S.C. meeting this fall."

Special note: Donna and the rest of the Piecemakers would love for anyone to share this catchy little song, but to always let it stand as a reminder of Janet and the ALS Disease as you sing.

This was in Fons and Porter's Quilting Newsletter today that I received in email.

Linda D.

ready2quilt 10-08-2008 12:43 PM

Yeah, I just got that yesterday from Fon's and Porter.

Thanks for posting!

lgeorge 10-13-2008 02:04 AM

Love It! Guess what I will sing all day. Thx!

youme 06-23-2009 03:07 AM

Woodie, I loooooooove this song!!
I happened to discover this while I was searching for stack and whack tutorial.
You could make up #2 for this song.LOL

beachlady 06-23-2009 03:11 AM

Love it! Thanks for finding this old post!

Quilting Aggi 06-23-2009 06:51 AM

LOL!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!

MaineGirl76 06-23-2009 07:17 AM

OMG!!! That song is too cute! I love it!!!!

bearisgray 06-23-2009 08:09 AM

Another ear worm -

thanks - I think :-)

littlehud 06-23-2009 06:14 PM

That is so cute. And describes me perfectly.

Mousie 06-24-2009 05:41 AM

This will keep me humming today, as I have a lot to do. going now...LOL...TTFN :mrgreen: