Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   For quilters who like to Applique!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilters-who-like-applique-t218805.html)

JulieR 04-11-2013 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by be a quilter (Post 5992941)
How are toothpicks better or different than turning with the needle??? Applique is something I haven't tried yet but am planning on so I don't know anything from experience, just from reading and listening.

I haven't tried the toothpick method yet, but I imagine the roughness of the wood would grab the little threads better and make it easier to sweep it all under.

bebe 04-11-2013 05:21 AM

Well you can put your DNA on it and it stays moist which helps to dampen the fabric a bit and that is what helps turn your fabric. They are stronger and have a better grip than the original ones.
Try it you may like it!!!!!
Also buy your self a pair of those glasses that have a headband and they sell a Craft stores like Michaels. You have a better look at what you are appliquing.

grandjan 04-11-2013 05:27 AM

Yes, and although it doesn't sound very hygienic, it helps tons if you moisten them--lick them or dip them in a little water. Someone showed me that trick too and I've been amazed at how much easier it makes turning the edges smoothly.

Gretchen 04-11-2013 05:33 AM

Hmmm, sounds like a good enough reason to go to Cracker Barrel for dinner! Especially since I just started an applique project!! What perfect timing!

jemma 04-11-2013 08:51 PM

the wood of the toothpick grabs the fabric better than the smooth needle--downside i found was keeping the tooth pick in my mouth between use--i re trained my self by putting it in an eggcup close handy

ckcowl 04-12-2013 02:42 AM

ive been using toothpicks for over 10 years- that's how i was taught to do needleturn- but i don't drive the 78 miles necessary to get to cracker barrel- my grocery store has a nice selection of toothpicks. the ones i choose are wood, round, long (about 3" i think) very inexpensive and have served me well.

bsquilter 04-12-2013 03:05 AM

I like mint flavored toothpicks better.

be a quilter 04-12-2013 03:10 AM

Funny, I have a book for quilting tips that I haven't picked up in a year. Yesterday as I was cleaning my sewing room, I ran across it, opened it randomly and guess what it was all about? You got it, using toothpicks to applique!! and I had never heard of it before. lol

bebe 04-12-2013 06:26 AM

Yes cheap toothpicks do the job!!!!

mckwilter 04-12-2013 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5995068)
the ones i choose are wood, round, long (about 3" i think) very inexpensive and have served me well.

I've been appliqueing for 5 years and the teacher showed us how to use the toothpick as an option. I like it much better than turning with a needle, however, I do look kind of funny sitting there with a toothpick hanging out from my lip. I also use the round toothpicks that are double-pointed. The flat ones feel too flimsy. One of the restaurants I go to has individually wrapped toothpicks. I always pick up 6 or so on my way out.

Also, I've always bought the plain toothpicks, not the colored. I would be afraid the color would transfer to my fabric (not to mention my tongue).