Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilterscache patterns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilterscache-patterns-t155610.html)

DesertNurse41 09-24-2011 09:02 PM

Does anyone else find quilterscache patterns difficult to follow? I have found several that didn't have all the measurements and I found so many of them that the measurements are wrong. I've wasted alot of fabric. Is it something I'm doing wrong? I'm really frustrated????

Sadiemae 09-24-2011 09:22 PM

I haven't had any problems with the measurements, but maybe I have just been lucky. When I was teaching beginning quilting I would use the measurements and write my own instructions for the traditional blocks I taught. I didn't like the way their directions are written, especially for beginners. I prefer the cutting directions to be with the sewing directions, not on a separate page. It is just a personal preference of mine when teaching.

wannaquilt1 09-24-2011 09:23 PM

i have found that if you dont have the measurements EXACT teh block is off and they are hard to get exactly right. At least for me as a beginner anyway. I will try some later :)

tammy cosper 09-24-2011 09:27 PM

If you have like EQ7 maybe try drawing them in there to get better measurements. Just a idea.
Tammy

cctx. 09-24-2011 09:36 PM

Most of MH patterns specify a "scant" seam allowance.
Practice a couple of blocks first and compare to see which technique was more accurate/or easier for you.
If you have a 3.5" and 4.5" ruler, this will help you tremendously to achieve the blocks MH designs because most 12.5" blocks are broken down into 3.5" or 4.5" units unless you're working with smaller pieces then it's 2.5" units.

I like her patterns and I had the same problem before until I came up with my own short-cut technique.

GwynR 09-25-2011 07:12 AM

It's not just you! Most have worked for me, but there have been a couple that absolutely did not work!
Maybe it was because of typos on their part?

quilter68 09-25-2011 08:36 AM

Never had any trouble with Quilterscache patterns.

Threadedneedle 09-25-2011 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by DesertNurse41
Does anyone else find quilterscache patterns difficult to follow? I have found several that didn't have all the measurements and I found so many of them that the measurements are wrong. I've wasted alot of fabric. Is it something I'm doing wrong? I'm really frustrated????

Make them with scrap paper before trying it with fabric. I have done that several times when measurements don't look quite right!!!

maryb119 09-25-2011 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by quilter68
Never had any trouble with Quilterscache patterns.

me either

boohoofish 09-25-2011 08:56 AM

I found some to be perfect and others to be off a bit. The simpler patterns are usually okay, but ones with multiple seams, even with a scant 1/4 inch seamline) seem to "shrink". Carol