Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting..alot or alittle?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-alot-alittle-t197687.html)

labtechkty 08-15-2012 12:43 PM

Quilting..alot or alittle??

I know it depends on the quilt but what are your thoughts...how much quilting do you do on your quilts??

azwendyg 08-15-2012 12:59 PM

Depends on whether I want a warm cozy quilt for sleeping under, a sofa throw, or a decorative wall quilt. I do a moderate amount on cozy quilts because if it is quilted too densely the insulation factor decreases. For sofa throws or lap quilts, I do a bit more (mostly because I can sit a look at the quilting), and for decorative pieces I like to quilt a lot (because it's "decorative").

topper1 08-15-2012 01:11 PM

sounds like I do, dont want too much on a quilt i use on bed for sleeping.

Sassylass 08-15-2012 01:28 PM

I don't like a lot of quilting on mine.rather have the soft feel to it.

117becca 08-15-2012 01:35 PM

i like a lot of quilting, but it is personal taste. I just try to make the density of quilting equal through out the quilt.

TanyaL 08-15-2012 01:57 PM

I like the quilting to be in definite patterns, so that the quilting is very eye catching. I want the back of the quilt to look as good as a one piece quilt - in fact to definitely be reversible to showcase quilting on one side, piecing on the other side. When the quilting is very simple SID I tend to think of the quilt as a comforter.

SouthPStitches 08-15-2012 02:56 PM

I hand quilt. Maybe because of that I do just enough to keep it nicely together and like the soft puffiness of it. I have had a couple of larger quilts LAQ'd and was very happy with the results. However, the end result is stiffer and drapes a lot differently on the bed.

RedGarnet222 08-15-2012 03:38 PM

I agree with all of the gals who said that there should be enough quilting to accentuate the quilt you are making by determining the use of the quilt and stablizing of the design that must be quilted in such a way as to make it a functional covering.

A dragger quilt that would be used a lot should have enough quilting so that it will hold up to many washings. A dragger can be a baby or child's quilt, a lap quilt or even a couch, picnic or car quilt.

Then there is a nice quilt you are gifting or one used by the family. I feel that moderate quilting is the best.

Then there is the Show quilts that have OMG quilting on them. That are made for showing off the exceptional skills of the piecer and quilter alike.

Skittl1321 08-15-2012 03:41 PM

I love to quilt, so I mostly do art that can be quilted to death. It would lol terrible on a bedspread.

ckcowl 08-15-2012 03:50 PM

it depends on the batting i'm using- some batts require quilting every 2"-which tends to be fairly dense- so that quilt is a densly quilted quilt- other batts allow up to 10" between quilting lines - those quilts are much more (loosely) quilted- large-open designs...i choose the batt that is right for the project & quilt what is required for that batt.