Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting App? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-app-t257275.html)

verna2197 11-23-2014 11:06 PM

Quilting App?

Does anyone know if there is a quilting app that will figure out your material? I am wanting to do a log cabin with 7" blocks and the strips are going to be 1 1/2" wide, there will be 12 square across and 12 squares down. I have EQ5 just don't know how to work the stupid thing. Believe me I have tried.

Thanks
verna2197

Skyangel 11-23-2014 11:15 PM

There is a free app from Robert Kaufman called Quilting Calculators available for iphone/ipad or android. I have recently downloaded it but haven't used it much to date. One of the calculators is "pieces to yardage area" that is supposed to figure out how much fabric is needed.

verna2197 11-24-2014 12:07 AM

Thank you Skyangel. I will check it out

ckcowl 11-24-2014 05:14 AM

How many fabrics do you plan to use in your log cabin blocks? (2?,4? A different one for each round? Each log different?) If using 1 1/2" strips you need 28 logs for your 7" block. (7 logs X 4 sides) if you are using a different fabric for each round ( one fabric for two sides, one for the other two sides, ...there are lots of ( variables) if you are using the same fabrics in all 144 blocks ( 12 across X 12down) then draw out a block, label it with your fabric choices and count how many logs you need of each fabric , I would figure 40" wide fabric strips, measure the logs on your drawn 7" block and add up the measurements for one fabric ( you can then see how many blocks you can get from each strip. You can cut 24 strips 1 1/2" wide from a yard of fabric. ( remember that 1/2" of your strip width is seam allowance so on your drawn block your logs should be 1" wide)

janRN 11-24-2014 05:22 AM

I'd also recommend the Robert Kaufman Quilters Calc app. I was shopping at a warehouse type fabric store and they had tons of wide backing fabric. Made it easy to calculate the amount of fabric needed for backing and if I just needed yardage for blocks.

Gay 11-24-2014 05:49 AM

If you have your finished quilt on-screen click on the printer icon - go down click on fabric yardage - a window will open for you to type in the width of your fabric - then click on preview. If all looks well, you can hit print.

Easy peasy.

verna2197 11-24-2014 07:29 AM

Gay are you talking about EQ5, for the quilt to be in all I have on computer is a picture

ontheriver 11-24-2014 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Skyangel (Post 6981874)
There is a free app from Robert Kaufman called Quilting Calculators available for iphone/ipad or android. I have recently downloaded it but haven't used it much to date. One of the calculators is "pieces to yardage area" that is supposed to figure out how much fabric is needed.

I use this app all the time, especially for binding, knowing how many strips to cut. Used to have lots of leftover pieces of binding, now I don't and don't have to do math.

juneayerza 11-25-2014 12:17 AM

Thanks for the info on the calculator; I just downloaded it.

coffeecozy 11-25-2014 06:06 AM

Thanks for the calculator. I no longer need to stand in the quilt shop and demonstrate my bumbling math skills as I try to figure out how much fabric I need.