Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting with Asian Themed Fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-asian-themed-fabrics-t170288.html)

cmw0829 11-29-2011 11:17 AM

Quilting with Asian Themed Fabrics

I have always loved these fabrics and when I started quilting a year ago dreamed of the day that I might do them justice.

I was in a quilt shop on Saturday that had been reorganized and commented on the shelving section that had previously been dedicated to Asian themed fabrics. The manager told me that there isn't much interest in them any more. I was very surprised.

Have any of you noticed the same thing? Fortunately, I've come across some on-line sites with selections of such fabric.

Tartan 11-29-2011 11:43 AM

I haven't really noticed the Asian themed fabric thinning out but I am trying to work more from my stash. I do notice that all the new fabric lines come and go very quickly. If you want something specific you had better grab it when you see it. The fabric prices in Canada have been steadily increasing so I really have to LOVE it before buying anything.

laadw 11-29-2011 12:53 PM

I always see a booth of asian themed fabrics at the local quilt fair. Perhaps buying from a specialized dealer.

Doreen 11-29-2011 01:59 PM

Check out Shibori Dragon, you'll find Asian fabric along with sashiko patterns. Good website!

Jingle 11-29-2011 02:02 PM

I haven't noticed any around here.

IAmCatOwned 11-29-2011 05:40 PM

The popularity of Asian fabrics depends on the customers, but what's available may also determine interest. A lot of local customers, for instance, just go to Blue Bamboo in Plymouth because they have a marvelous selection. Only one of the 3 stores near me had any and it was only as a kit. :( Civil War fabrics are pretty hard to find around here. Even Grubers doesn't have many, but they had a huge selection of shirtings. You'd think 30s fabrics were really popular, but I think their heyday, at least in my area, has come and gone. This year, I've bought a LOT of Asian fabrics, mostly from Blue Bamboo and a store in PA.

Deb watkins 11-29-2011 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Doreen (Post 4733498)
Check out Shibori Dragon, you'll find Asian fabric along with sashiko patterns. Good website!

This is one of my favorite sites. I have several of their templates!

sewbeadit 11-29-2011 06:03 PM

We found that when looking for African themed fabrics, some stores carry a lot and some don't carry any, depends on who shops there. That Shibori Dragon store is wonderful to get asian fabrics. We found a few places while traveling too.

Maggiesmom 11-29-2011 06:06 PM

I am presently working on a grouping of small asia themed fabrics; but then I have a hugh box I have been collecting for years. I think it depends a lot on what part of the country you are in also.

BSKTLOFR-QUILTER 11-29-2011 06:24 PM

Maybe it depends upon your location. Shops in our area seem to carry different type fabrics in their main line. Where you shop depends upon that shops particular specialty.