Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting the backs of quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-backs-quilts-t99792.html)

gmloves2quilt 02-14-2011 12:23 PM

I'm new here . I read the board every day and love it. My question is do you always have to quilt the back of a quilt ? Hope this makes since. I have quilted as you go quilt but no backing on it yet. I'm just not good at putting it all together yet. I do the tie one but really want to try quilting just don't want to mess it up . I've had my share of tearing apart .I have 5 quilt tops done but again no backing . Is there a real simple design you all might know i could start with? Thanks

Vanuatu Jill 02-14-2011 12:38 PM

You say you have been quilting without backing? Do you mean "piecing"? The quilting part is when you put the three layers (backing, batting, and quilt top) together in a quilt "sandwich", then stitch (quilt) thru all three layers, creating the bit of "poofing". Will you be quilting by machine or hand? Can you post a pic of what your doing?

Lacelady 02-14-2011 12:39 PM

I did a quilt as you go quilt last year, but my blocks were only 4.5in square. I layered it with a wide backing, and then just quilted iin the ditch to attach the backing to the blocks

Tamara 02-14-2011 12:42 PM

I'm new at quilting also, but I've been doing mine quilts in the ditch where you quilt in the seams of your top. they have came out good.

Sandy-lou 02-14-2011 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by gmloves2quilt
I'm new here . I read the board every day and love it. My question is do you always have to quilt the back of a quilt ? Hope this makes since. I have quilted as you go quilt but no backing on it yet. I'm just not good at putting it all together yet. I do the tie one but really want to try quilting just don't want to mess it up . I've had my share of tearing apart .I have 5 quilt tops done but again no backing . Is there a real simple design you all might know i could start with? Thanks

welcome. Can you post a pic please so we can see what you mean. I have quilted as you go but only on a top which has its batting and backing all together as a sandwich

gmloves2quilt 02-14-2011 02:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is some pics hope you can see them ok. I think i did mine like Sandy-lou was talking about. I just didn't quilt my backing with the top and batting.I just use some muslin on each piece on the back. If i put a back on it with out quilting it do you all think it will work or not. Hope i'm not confussing you all to much. Here is the pics not the best quilting but i'm ok with it. Thanks again

campion 02-14-2011 02:57 PM

My first quilt was made this way QAYG-----then I put the sashings in and this was the only bit that was quilted through to the back and it's fine.

Lisa 02-14-2011 02:57 PM

It's kinda hard to tell but if your doing what it looks like your doing I would think that putting a back on it and quilting it would be more simple and easy than the approach your taking plus it would give you a one-pieced smooth backing. Just put some muslin on the back and do a stitch in the ditch,you can't go wrong with that. Give it a try, I'm sure you will like it much much better!

gmloves2quilt 02-14-2011 02:57 PM

Oh i forgot to tell you, this is me again i am going to put a back on it .I.m not sure how i may have to do the tieing again.

campion 02-14-2011 02:58 PM

PS--I quilted as you go the back was muslin then then the backing was put on after that.

Bet this sounds confusing