Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Book Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-book-organization-t112861.html)

Janis 04-02-2011 07:13 AM

How do you organize your quilting books and magazines? I started to put some of my books in alphabetical order as to the name of the book, but want to know the best way to do it. What about your magazines? Do you organize them as to the name of the magazine, year, or what? I really need to get organized in this way. Thanks for your information.
Janis

KarenK 04-02-2011 07:23 AM

My books are ordered by author's last name because I'll remember a quilter's name more frequently than I'll remember a title. Also, I have multiple books for some authors.

My magazines used to be in stacks by year and now are in stacks by name. Really don't think one way has worked better than the other! LOL :D There are MANY flags in my magazines and I still have to sit down and search through a bunch to find what I want.

debbieumphress 04-02-2011 07:25 AM

I buy those 3" binders and use sheet protectors to slide each magazine into. Then Each book is by title, such as Quiltmaker..and by date, Macalls, and date. Then I put an index sheet in the front to notate any patterns I especially like in each magazine. Easy to find that way. And if someone suggest a wonderful pattern in a magazine, you can find the binder and the magazine quickly. Some magazines can hold up to 3-4 years in them since we only get 4-6 publications a year. Hope this helps. ♥♥ And books are by Authur. Or you can do by patterns like jelly rolls, blocks. etc, All good.

Janis 04-02-2011 07:38 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm anxious to see what others have to say. I was wondering about putting them by subject. I really have a lot of books and need to organize the rest of them. I have a Half Price Books in a nearby town, and then there is one up by my daughter's home in IL that we visit when we are up there. I can't buy just one at a time at these places!

the casual quilter 04-02-2011 08:47 AM

My books are organized by category. All of my paper piecing boks are in one section of my bookcase, machne applique in another, then machine applique, scrap piecing, machne quilting, etc. This works best for me. After I've read the magazines, I tear out the techniques or articles that interest me and put them in sheet protectors and into a notebook. Then I put the rest of the magazine in to the recycle bin.

LoriEl 04-02-2011 09:17 AM

My books are grouped by author. If only one by an author I put the subjects together. The magazines I group same names together by date so I know just where to look. I also went through them once and wrote down the projects I would like to try, or tutes/tips down in a notebook as to what mag and month it was in for easy reference. Too bad I didn't keep up on it! The list was just getting so long!

Prism99 04-02-2011 09:53 AM

I organize my books loosely by category; seems I can find what I am looking for much easier that way. Never did figure out a good way to organize my magazines. I bought inexpensive cardboard magazines organizers from Amazon to hold my individual patterns by category. Here are the ones I got:
http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Banke...dp/B00186ZA6O/

Years ago I stored my magazines in 3-ring binders with the plastic magazine holders that fit inside them. I still have them. What I don't like about this method is that the binders become quite heavy and bulky, so that I am not particularly inclined to want to take one down to look through the magazines in it. I think the boxes above would probably work better for me if I want to store by mag name and years. My problem with magazines is that often there is just one quilt that is of interest to me in any given issue, but I hate to cut up magazines. Copying the index usually doesn't work for me because I need a picture of the quilt. Still haven't figured out magazines.....