Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting book you can't live without. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-book-you-cant-live-without-t137926.html)

Dee Dee 07-15-2011 06:40 PM

What is your "go to" favorite quilting book? Mine is Fons & Porter "Quilters Complete Guide."

What is your favorite pattern book? The one you seem to make several patterns from? Mine is Eleanor Burns "Quilts Through the Seasons."

alikat110 07-15-2011 06:44 PM

I have a ton of books, so you would think i'd already have done a tion of quilts....not so. But, I did pick up BH&G, 501 Quilt Blocks book at the Temple quilt show I recently attended!!! This will probably be it!!!

hopetoquilt 07-15-2011 06:48 PM

My own personal binder of quilt patterns... separately bought patterns and a few cut out from magazines!! I page through it so often!! Originally it was Joanne's quilt book which is a great reference when you are starting out

charismah 07-15-2011 06:58 PM

Wow! this is a hard question! I would have to say either of the "Material Obsession" books. I just love their whole theory and their patterns.

BigDog 07-15-2011 07:01 PM

I have never bought a quilting book, nor have I ever bought a pattern. I don't get out much, lol.

These days, everything is on the internet, so I'll spend my money on fabrics instead.

katinkaB 07-15-2011 07:04 PM

For me it's Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns.

Apart from supplying endless inspiration, the effort that must have gone into collecting and somehow organizing all these patterns just boggles my mind.

quilter1430 07-15-2011 07:19 PM

For reference purposes, I love "Quilter's Complete Guide" by Fons and Porter and "The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide: From A to Z" ... both are great! But when I just want to be inspired, I love books with just tons of quilt blocks in them. They don't have traditional step-by-step patterns, but can be easily done up with graph paper or a quilting software program, like Electric Quilt. The top ones I love are: "The It's Okay If You Sit On My Quilt Book" by Mary Ellen Hopkins, "849 Traditional Patchwork Patterns" by Susan Winter Mills, "5,500 Quilt Block Designs" by Maggie Malone, "Once More Around the Block" by Judy Hopkins, and "101 Nine Patch Quilts" by Marti Michell. I have over 100 quilt books and order most of them "used" through Amazon and I've never had a problem with any of the transactions.

JulieR 07-15-2011 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dee Dee
What is your "go to" favorite quilting book? Mine is Fons & Porter "Quilters Complete Guide."

That one's mine, too. Patterns, I have several old books with quilt blocks but I think I get the most inspiration from browsing online.

Cybrarian 07-15-2011 07:40 PM

The Quilter's Catalog is a great reference book! It covers everything quilting, has bios and all types of subjects are covered not just beginning quilting etc. First quilt book I have read cover to cover.

tellabella 07-15-2011 07:50 PM

I love "The Complete Guide to Quilting" BHG and "The Quilting Bibile" for how to..and a bunch of others too...