Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting With Brother CS6000i (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-brother-cs6000i-t122764.html)

Blackberry 05-13-2011 08:10 AM

I have been quilting some lapthrows on my Brother CS6000i. I use the low loft polyester batting because it is fairly inexpensive and these are donated. But my problem is the machine just doesn't seem to work effortlessly while quilting thru 3 layers and it is even worse when attaching the binding which is 7 layers. The machine seems to be laboring and makes a bad sounding plunk or chunky sound as I am attaching the binding and I can only sew about a stitch at a time. I have tried changing the needle and thread and nothing seems to help. This machine was sold as a quilting machine and came with a walking foot and an FMQ foot so I am sure it was intended to be used for sewing several layers of material together. I was just wondering if this is true of the Brother Cs6000i machine or do I have a "lemon". Do any of you that have this machine have this problem?

crafty_linda_b 05-13-2011 08:46 AM

My daughter bought me one of these machine right before Christmas and it only lasted about 3 months..the tension is messed up on mine and I can't get it adjusted. The top thread looks perfect when I sew..but if I turn it over and look at the bottom thread it looks like it is on zig zag stitch? I am not pleased with it at all. Mine was a demo and we bought it off of eBay and it had no warranty. We only paid $150 including the S/H for it and the local repair guy wants $79 to look at it? SO I have 'parked' it for now. I had a different brother machine for several years and it worked like a charm. I had bought it at walmart for $129. How long have you owned yours? Any possibility you could return it? I know Bernina has a promo going on now that they will allow you $250 trade in on any machine of $1000 or more. Plus 24 month finanacing interest free. The gal at my LQS told me that when I was there for Sat stitchers the 1st part of this month. I am considering taking mine and trading it in for a new Bernina.
Happy Stitchin' crafty_linda_b

Dingle 05-13-2011 09:20 AM

I have one that is close to it. I have the SQ-9000. Are you using the walking foot? When I'm sewing layers I go slow when using the walking foot. What size needle are you using? When I start with layers and the binding I switch to a size 18 needle. I haven't had any problems with mine. Hope you figure it out.

QuiltnNan 05-13-2011 09:22 AM

I bought this machine a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday, I shadowquilted top-80/20 batting-and plain backing. I tried both the quilting foot and the walking foot... both are ok. It worked just fine. Since I have another machine for quilting that has a larger throat, I don't think the Brother will be my primary quilter. I do love the straight and blanket stitches on this machine, though. I actually went through all three layers with the blanket stitch with no problem except the top stitch shows a little on the back. I might have to do more tension changing. I haven't had a chance to try other stitches.

p.s. my biggest thrill with this machine is the needle threader. it is super easy

Blackberry 05-13-2011 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
I bought this machine a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday, I shadowquilted top-80/20 batting-and plain backing. I tried both the quilting foot and the walking foot... both are ok. It worked just fine. Since I have another machine for quilting that has a larger throat, I don't think the Brother will be my primary quilter. I do love the straight and blanket stitches on this machine, though. I actually went through all three layers with the blanket stitch with no problem except the top stitch shows a little on the back. I might have to do more tension changing. I haven't had a chance to try other stitches.

p.s. my biggest thrill with this machine is the needle threader. it is super easy

What size of needle are you using?

Blackberry 05-13-2011 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dingle
I have one that is close to it. I have the SQ-9000. Are you using the walking foot? When I'm sewing layers I go slow when using the walking foot. What size needle are you using? When I start with layers and the binding I switch to a size 18 needle. I haven't had any problems with mine. Hope you figure it out.

I am using the walking foot and it seems to be working just fine. I also go very slow. The brother service guy said to use a size 16 needle so that is what I bought but it didn't help much. Maybe I need to go to a size 18. Does your machine make this chunking/plunking sound when putting on the binding. I would love to use this machine because the blanket stitch looks so nice on the binding.

QuiltnNan 05-13-2011 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Blackberry
What size of needle are you using?

I am using the one that was installed on the machine when i bought it. i think it is only a 14! [i hate changing needles
:) ]

Butterflyspain 05-13-2011 01:45 PM

I have the Inovis 1200 and I have not been happy with it since I bought it. It does not handle thick layers of fabric, three seems to sause a problem, I have ended up hand quilting. As soon as I can afford another different machine I will treat myself.

wannaquilt1 05-13-2011 01:54 PM

I have the Brother CS6000 (the older version) and this is my 2nd machine. My first one was doing that with the tension and I figured out later I ruined it by pulling to hard on the fabric when it would get stuck and I messed up the tension on that machine. Try to adjust the tension on the top and if that doesn't work then you can get it serviced for like $50 i think? Good luck :)

Dolphyngyrl 05-13-2011 03:55 PM

I have the brother XL3500i and have used the walking foot to quilt just fine, no clunk. What loft batting are you using. I have never tried the FMQ on mine though, but the walking foot does a good job on my cheapo brother