Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting to camoflauge piecing flaws, any ideas? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-camoflauge-piecing-flaws-any-ideas-t56721.html)

KellyK 07-28-2010 05:50 PM

I finished piecing my first Quilt for Kids. There are a few points that don't match up. I'd like to blame it on the blocks in the kit being poorly cut but the reality is I'm just not that great yet. Not to mention that I can't bear to resew a seam, lol.

I bought the batting for it today, but before I start quilting it, I thought I'd ask for suggestions on quilting to detract attention from the errors.

It is a four patch, next to a "focus fabric" then four patch type of quilt, the patches are bright yellow and blue and the focus fabric is green.

Any suggestions for quilting thread color are appreciated as well!

mom-6 07-28-2010 06:02 PM

I do hand quilting and you can do some nifty 'cheats' with that, but I haven't ventured into quilting by machine yet.

quiltingbee12 07-28-2010 06:04 PM

Do a quilting thread that blends in. I believe I read a article(and this is what I do) is I do wavy quilting, I don't do straight. When you do straight quilting, it flaunts the flaws, instead of hides them. I'd suggest a overall stipple.

Emily

Jim's Gem 07-28-2010 06:09 PM

They like a lot of quilting on these quilts. I just use a variegated thread and do a large meander or loop de loop around the whole quilt.

dakotamaid 07-28-2010 06:14 PM

The kids don't care if the points don't match and all over stipple would be great for this.

Chele 07-28-2010 06:19 PM

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how quilting will "make" your quilt.

littlehud 07-28-2010 06:21 PM

I would meander or stipple it. I don't think those kids will care if everything is perfect. They are going to love that quilt.

CoyoteQuilts 07-28-2010 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
The kids don't care if the points don't match and all over stipple would be great for this.

I agree. When I mess up my points for a donation quilt I try and remember that the person getting it is usually in need of being warm and they really don't care if it is perfect. I know if I was in that type of situation I would be thankful someone was willing to think of me and spend the time making it.

walen 07-28-2010 08:20 PM

Yup, I agree. Right on.

Originally Posted by quiltingbee12
Do a quilting thread that blends in. I believe I read a article(and this is what I do) is I do wavy quilting, I don't do straight. When you do straight quilting, it flaunts the flaws, instead of hides them. I'd suggest a overall stipple.

Emily

ckcowl 07-29-2010 07:11 AM

only us quilters notice points not matching...anyone (non-quilty) is going to admire the quilt and not know it is not exactly how you meant it to be...so although we strive for perfection it is just us...being critical. no one else knows when we mess up except us...unless of course we have a (moment) and point out our errors, or tell on ourselves.