Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting and camping - any tips? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-camping-any-tips-t48072.html)

quiltlin 06-04-2010 05:22 AM

Yes, definitely take a sewing machine, preferably a small one and lots of unfinished projects. I find that this is a great way to get them done as that's all you have to do.....unless you stop at quilt stores along the way and buy more fabric and patterns. LOL

sewweary 06-04-2010 05:33 AM

Would leave my shoes at home before leaving my sewing machine.

Dancing Needle 06-04-2010 05:33 AM

DH and I tent camp. As a matter of fact we leave tomorrow for a week long camping/fishing trip. YEAH!!! :) I have a quilt that I'm hand quilting and take it along whenever we camp. I basically only work on it when we are camping and it's taking a long time to finish but oh what memories it will hold.

Charlee 06-04-2010 05:48 AM

This camping trip that we just got back from, I just took some handwork (applique). I told William that I want to find a handcrank to take with us in the camper...for those times that we "dry camp" with no power or hookups...he informed me that we have a generator. :lol: I do have a little Brother machine that will work well for camping, and intend to take it when we don't have company along that is staying with us. Most campers have plugins on the outside, so I could sit outside at my little folding table and sew!

Sandra-P 06-04-2010 05:53 AM

AmyM, your DH sounds like a keeper! Why not indeed! Himnherr, your pics are so cute, did you make your slippers? I do hand applique, English paper piecing,also I just got a 14X14 wholecloth and hoop to start doing. Good luck and we can be pretty creative with where we do our quilting when we have to.

crazyrvquilter 06-04-2010 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by lfw045
Hubby and I are getting rid of our timeshare and are seriously considering a travel trailer or RV to start doing some traveling....only short trips for the next 3 years to get the hang of it before he retires.

I want to be able to quilt while we are "out there". Anyone here that does that?

TIA

I have recently started living in my 30ft fifth wheel. I have a Featherweight sewing machine and a SewEzi sewing table. I use the dining table for my cutting mat. The SewEzi table is so nice-it can be folded up and put away and when set up does not take up alot of room.

leaha 06-04-2010 07:23 AM

Where there is a will there is a way! I belong to a group that quilts and camps, one gal tows a trailer for their off the road goodie. they go boondocking, and she sets up her LA in the trailer when they park. and she does her LA quilting. Have machine will travel! So I see no problem with a small sewing machine at all. would be the first thing I would take.

janedennis 06-04-2010 07:41 AM

I did that for seven years on the road and was it fun to collect fabric from all over the country. We miss it but have gotten to ill to do it anymore. I miss living in my fifth wheel. If you need any advice be sure and PM me i have alot of info to share.

AliKat 06-04-2010 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by lfw045
Hubby and I are getting rid of our timeshare and are seriously considering a travel trailer or RV to start doing some traveling....only short trips for the next 3 years to get the hang of it before he retires.

I want to be able to quilt while we are "out there". Anyone here that does that?

TIA

A friend of mine travels with her hubby in a RV a lot. When she is home she cuts out all the fabric she wants to use and bags it so she can hand piece and applique as they go. She doesn't take her serwing machine as she loves the hand work.

You might want to try this.

Me: I don't do hand work so I would have to take my sewing machine. Though I do think I would cut at home and bag projects for taking on the trips,too.

ali

Rubyrednails2 06-04-2010 07:57 AM

We have a 39 ft. diesel pusher and I take my Janome 4800 (leave my good Bernina at home) with me and find it easy to sew. I sew on the dining room table with the only draw back is having to clean it off before we eat. We have dinner on tv trays alot of times, lol. Having precut projects is a big plus as you are then ready to sew. Take your machine and you will be surprised how much sewing you can get done. I love sewing string quilts when we travel.