Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting...can it be overdone? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-can-overdone-t186595.html)

kjohnson0523 04-19-2012 12:12 PM

Quilting...can it be overdone?

Recently, I started wondering if a quilt could be "over quilted". I love the new techniques and abilities that the new machines allow us to produce but I have noticed that sometimes, I can't actually see the pattern in the quilt because of the quilting.

What do you think?

ckcowl 04-19-2012 12:28 PM

yes, a quilt can certainly be 'over-quilted' if the quilting over powers the quilt-
quilting should enhance- not take over- and sometimes people seem to just get a bit 'carried away' and they fill a quilt up with so much quilting that it winds up being stiff as a board- and the quilt itself is lost somewhere under all that thread.
but it is a personal choice too- some people like very dense quilting- others like a large--easy quilting style-
but no matter what kind of quilting a person likes it should enhance the quilt

Hinterland 04-19-2012 12:33 PM

To each their own. I prefer more quilting, but since I mostly hand quilt it's hard to overdo it - I do like to get finished at some point.

The quilting should complement the top. Most quilters who enjoy doing "over the top" quilting leave lots of room for quilting designs, so the quilting doesn't overpower the pieced design.

Janet

Pat625 04-19-2012 12:37 PM

If I ever over quilted I would be in a lot of trouble....I only hand quilt!

Lori S 04-19-2012 12:56 PM

I appreciate your thoughts, buts its like piecing. Some like to work with larger pieces , some like really tiny pieces. Can piecing be overdone?! Can color be overdone?! Too many colors or too few?! Its all in what the creator intends for the piece ! and did the final work meet their expectations.

0tis 04-19-2012 01:07 PM

I think its really a matter of choice - but I think sometimes the quilting goes overboard - it really depends on the pattern and the quilter - I would love to do one of those really cool dense quilts - but I don't have the artistic ability to even attempt it. I think it depends on the reason the quilt was made - like utilitarian quilt, art quilt/wallhanging, or contest quilts - I have seen quilts that are just a large easy stipple and that is all it really needed and its beautiful - but I do admire the ability of the quilters to do the dense quilting and I think it is very impressive and adds alot of "wow" factor - but it isn't really necessary to make the quilt "beautiful" - at least in my own opinion.

Sally J 04-19-2012 01:09 PM

I think it's like all things with quilting, to each their own. I don't do lots of fancy quilting just because I do it on my home machine and because I want the quilt really soft. I admire those "fancy" quilted pieces but just don't have the skills, or really the desire to try it.

momto5 04-19-2012 01:52 PM

It's YOUR quilt...you quilt it so YOU like it...I don't quilt mine too heavy because I like them to be soft and cuddly.

ShabbyTabby 04-19-2012 02:34 PM

I personally don't care for dense quilting as it does make the quilt stiff. If it's just for show it's okay but to use to cuddle in, I want it soft and easy to drape. I very much admire the beautiful quilting some of the LA's do and I know I would never be able to accomplish anything close to it. It's to each his own. It's your quilt so make it to suit YOU.

DogHouseMom 04-19-2012 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5154623)
I appreciate your thoughts, buts its like piecing. Some like to work with larger pieces , some like really tiny pieces. Can piecing be overdone?! Can color be overdone?! Too many colors or too few?! Its all in what the creator intends for the piece ! and did the final work meet their expectations.

Exactly.

Some pieces look better with less quilting, some demand more. And not everyone will agree on each piece :)