Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting with Cat Hair (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-cat-hair-t59630.html)

egagnon291 08-16-2010 06:46 AM

Well I have 3 cats, 2 dogs and 2 smokers in the house. My quilts are doomed before they're even started.

sewgray 08-16-2010 07:01 AM

Those fabric softener balls that you put in the dryer help to get rid of the hair. You know the blue ones with the little spikes. My little dog sheds like crazy and I have less hair on my clean clothes when I use them.

raptureready 08-16-2010 07:06 AM

When I get fabric that smells of smoke I wash it with detergent, baking soda(lots) and vinegar, then wash it once again with only detergent. That's worked for me, but I also shower and change clothes after I put it in the washer. If it's really bad I let it get started with the vinegar and b. soda then shut if off for about 1/2 an hour and let it soak. When I bought close to 150 yds this spring on a garage sale it reeked of smoke. I took a lot of showers.

nativetexan 08-16-2010 07:38 AM

he,he,he.one good reason my three cats aren't allowed in my sewing room.

Ms. Shawn 08-16-2010 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider

Originally Posted by egagnon291
I could never give a quilt to anyone with an allergy. Sometimes I think I should put a warning label on all my quilts.

Unless you are aware of the allergies of everyone in the house where your quilt is going, that might not be a bad idea.

When I am not actually working on something, the 'parts' are covered with pieces of dropcloth plastic that I have cut up. My cats will not lie on cold, stiff, noisy plastic no matter what's underneath it. :-D

My 2 little ones will they love anything that is plastic!! :thumbup: :lol:

Ms. Shawn 08-16-2010 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by egagnon291
My cats never bother my quilting until I put the batting on. Batting is like catnip to them. Fortunately they don't scratch it, just lay on it. They seem to think I made it just for them. I could never give a quilt to anyone with an allergy. Sometimes I think I should put a warning label on all my quilts.

Hello and Welcome to the board!! How many cats do you have!! Ms. Shawn :mrgreen: :thumbup:

bearisgray 08-16-2010 08:15 AM

Every time I participate in a swap or sale - I advise/warn the possible recipient that I have/had cat(s).

There are some cats I tolerate really well with minimal distress - and others that if I just touch them, I get the itchy eyes, runny nose, can't breathe thing.

jljquilter 08-16-2010 08:57 AM

Have pets. They aren't the problem. Laundry detergent or fabric softner with fragrance bothers me. I use all unscented products. I wish that people with purfume would come with a warning label.

AnnaK 08-16-2010 09:00 AM

I am soooo allergic to cats that your thread topic made me sneeze. No kidding!

sewmuchmore 08-16-2010 09:11 AM

Looks like the only way to combat this is to ban them from your sewing room? :roll: