Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting close together or far apart (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-close-together-far-apart-t207773.html)

pyffer3 12-06-2012 07:50 AM

Quilting close together or far apart

I'm on an information gathering mission for my next quilt? Still working on my first (almost done). What difference does it make how close one quilts? I know some of the batting says you can quilt as far apart as 10 inches. I did a practice square a couple months back, stitching about an inch apart and the thing was so stiff. Is that what happens if you do a large quilt with stitching so close together? But, on the other hand, I have been told that if the stitching is too far apart you get bunching inbetween the stitching when it has been washed/dried.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 12-06-2012 07:56 AM

I think you first have to decide on a look you like and then buy batting that allows you to quilt that far apart. Quilts do tend to get a bit stiffer when quilted closer together, but different types of batting effect that, too.

Zyngawf 12-06-2012 08:02 AM

I'm new to quilting too and recently asked the same. The helpful quilters here told me it really depends on the batting you choose and how many inches apart it will allow you to go and yes the farther apart the softer the result. Just make sure you read the batting package before buying. What else helped me was UTube and watching the tutorials about the different battings. Polyester is cheaper and will have a different result than cotton. I recommend watching these.

Tartan 12-06-2012 08:31 AM

It really depends on what look you want and getting the right batting to achieve it. I think on quilting that is further part, I prefer Hobbs poly down batting because it puffs more and you don't get the wrinkly fabric look in the open areas. On quilting that is closer I prefer Hobbs 80/20 fusible batt for a flatter look. You will need to try different batts and see what you like best.

mighty 12-06-2012 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter (Post 5701896)
I think you first have to decide on a look you like and then buy batting that allows you to quilt that far apart. Quilts do tend to get a bit stiffer when quilted closer together, but different types of batting effect that, too.

Ditto that!!!!

Jingle 12-06-2012 09:05 AM

I always do a large stipple and I like that. I would not quilt any further than 3-4". Just me.

Scissor Queen 12-06-2012 11:15 AM

The battings that allow you to quilt that far apart are generally needle punched thru a scrim. That makes them stiff when quilted much closer than the 10 inches. There are battings that are needle punched but not thru a scrim and they need to be quilted closer but they're softer when done. There are also battings that are bonded and not needle punched and their quilting recommendations will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Read the labels and experiment.